Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Towing in Colorado mountains

In three weeks we will be traveling to Breckenridge over CO9 thru Hoosier Pass (approx. elevation 11,500 ft.). Coach is 41K lbs pulling a 4.4k Ford Edge with 450HP Cummins and Allison 6 speed. Assuming typical weather conditions this time of year would I be better off to unhook the Ford Edge and tackle the grades w/o the additional weight? Thanks.

LarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

Hello my coach and truck are heavier then you I travel everywhere and never worry about anything I have a 2 position Jake which I use I gear down and slow down never had a problem. I would say your coach has a jake or engine brake use it slow down and gear down if necessary leave your tow hooked up and enjoy your travels.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

I feel the same as Diesel Guy. My CC runs very close to the GVWR of 45,200 lbs when all loaded up with the entire family, fuel, water, ETC. (I capitalized the ETC because my family brings A TON of stuff!) I also tow a Chevy Avalanche that weighs about 5500lbs.

My coach is a 400 HP ISL with 6 speed Allison and a 2 level Jake. So I don't speed up the hills, but it does OK. I haven't had any issues going down any grade. One rule of thumb that I subscribe to is that you should descend any grade in essentially the same gear as you ascended in. You should set this gear early on, before your coach speed increases and you have to slow down.

If you have picked the gear right and your Jake on high, you shouldn't need to even touch the foot brake on any descent. If you are constantly having to hit the brake you need to pick a lower gear. I generally stay in that same gear for the entire descent (until the grade flattens out substantially). I will move the Jake to low if the slope is a bit less.

If I do find myself in too high a gear, I use the foot brake to slow down one time to a slow enough speed that I can select a lower gear, then resume. But if I have to do that then I failed, screwed up. :-)

I actually enjoy the HUGE climbs and descents we have out west. My goal is to always descend without touching the foot brake, and it is quite fun! I am from Utah so I do have plenty of hills to to play with.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd leave the car hooked up ---IF it has a braking system. Just be sure to downshift, use engine brake, and only use air brakes for dropping speed 10 mph, then foot off until you need them again. Too many folks apply brakes and leave them on too long, building up heat and brake fade.

Stop occasionally and enjoy the scenery!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I'd leave the car hooked up ---IF it has a braking system. Just be sure to downshift, use engine brake, and only use air brakes for dropping speed 10 mph, then foot off until you need them again. Too many folks apply brakes and leave them on too long, building up heat and brake fade.

Stop occasionally and enjoy the scenery!

Like they said, especially about a toad braking system. Do you have one?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Did that exact drive last September, in a very similar coach (41-foot Tuscany with 450-hp Cummins ISL), towing a Jeep Liberty. No problems at all, but use your engine or exhaust brake liberally, to save your service brakes. If I recall correctly, there is a hairpin or two that will get your attention.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #7

There is an old truckers saying - "you can go down the mountain as many times as you want too slow, but you can only go down it once too fast".

I have to disagree somewhat with a couple of the posts. If you are descending any hill correctly, you will not need to use your service brakes to intermittently slow down. That is the job of the engine brake and the gear you choose.

If you pick 4th gear and jake on high, and you are gaining speed on the descent, you need to use a lower gear, plain and simply! Yes you CAN use your service brakes to slow you from 45mph to 35mph several times during a descent, but why? Just pick the correct gear and you will have no need to use the service brakes other than for a panic stop. Truckers call this "stabbing the brakes" and is a sure sign you don't know what you are doing! :-)

You will be surprised at the amount of wear and heat that is created even when using the brakes intermittently on a grade. I prefer to save my service brakes for when they are really needed, not to slow me down because I picked the wrong gear or was in a hurry.

Professional truckers do this day in and day out and never touch the brakes.

"you can go down the mountain as many times as you want too slow, but you can only go down it once too fast"

Tags
colorado, tow, towing