Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #15

IMHO, I want all the available stopping power my coach and toad can muster. It would be interesting to see "braking distance charts" for a coach and toad with and without auxiliary braking. That extra braking effect by the toad could make the difference between a hit and a near miss.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

Unfortunately because most. (all?). toad brake systems active the brakes on the car being towed the pads/shoes/brake systems of towed cars need work/repair far more often.
Mel
'96 safari, 145k miles, (117k towing)
I've towed three different vehicles and never had a problem with my brakes wearing out faster. My current toad has been pulled about 45,000 miles and the brakes are still excellent.

I think people need to adjust their brake system, drive the coach several miles and then shoot the brakes pads to determine if they are over heating.

If the brakes are not set correctly then I agree with you that they would have some excessive wear issues.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Thanks for the web site, I just noticed the max height for my home state (Colorado) is 13 feet. I wonder if anybody ever got a ticket for being to tall?
The highways have built-in height limiters that shave you down to a lower level. Free.
They are called underpasses...
Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Just wondering if a driver home state does not require a supplemental braking system would they be ticketed for not having one if stopped for another violation or routine check.
There is no reciprocity on vehicle equipment laws, you must follow the laws of the state you're in. So, if supplemental brakes are required where you're at then if you don't have them your equipment is not in conformance with their laws. However, the only authorities that check for compliance are in Canada that I know of.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
IMHO, I want all the available stopping power my coach and toad can muster. It would be interesting to see "braking distance charts" for a coach and toad with and without auxiliary braking. That extra braking effect by the toad could make the difference between a hit and a near miss.
Actually it has been done, check the RoadMaster website. However, with anything presented by those selling braking systems they should be viewed with some skepticism. Even worse are the charts out there purporting to compile braking requirements into a chart. Most of the time they quote the requirements for trailers and lots of states don't define a motorized vehicle not designed for towing as a "trailer" but some do too.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing