Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Towing in different states.

If I am legal in my home state for towing, will I get ticketed if stopped in another state with stricter rules? This seems to make my home states law irrelevant unless I never leave it.

Thanks for any response.

Tom

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

State laws apply only within their state. True of towing, speed limits, gun laws, you name it. Your state doesn't follow another state's laws, etc. no reason for them to follow yours.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
State laws apply only within their state. True of towing, speed limits, gun laws, you name it. Your state doesn't follow another state's laws, etc. no reason for them to follow yours.

Steve
True enough for most things I suspect. States rights are a key component of our way of life. But, there are interstate commerce laws / agreements that allow for a person to travel through the various states without having to comply with that states rules for locals. If a drivers state does not require a class "X" license to drive a large motorhome they won't be ticketed for not having one in another that requires one, or so I understand.

Just wondering if a driver home state does not require a supplemental braking system would they be ticketed for not having one if stopped for another violation or routine check.

Not questioning the right or wrong of having one or not.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

States that require a supplemental braking system require it of all vehicles driving in the state, regardless of where they are licensed. The requirement for driver's license is based on the requirement where the driver is licensed and since the LEO outside your home state would not readily have that information, I doubt this has ever arisen as an issue.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
States that require a supplemental braking system require it of all vehicles driving in the state, regardless of where they are licensed. The requirement for driver's license is based on the requirement where the driver is licensed and since the LEO outside your home state would not readily have that information, I doubt this has ever arisen as an issue.
I believe you are correct as far as towing rules and licensing are concerned, but do NOT count on the local LEO's not knowing the rules in your home state. A number of years ago I was pulled over in Florida because my vehicle state inspection sticker showed the car had not had a NJ state inspection in 3 years. At the stop the officer pointed this out to me, and I informed him I was on active duty in the AF, and did not have to have it inspected until I returned to the state. The officer consulted a "little black book" and immediately asked for my military ID. Once I showed it to him, he explained that what I had told him was true, wished me a safe day and sent me on the way. This guy knew most of the out of state rules and those he didn't know he was able to read about immediately. With the Internet availability all officers have now, I can only think that they can find out anything they need to about your home state rules. Don't count on them not knowing.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If I am legal in my home state for towing, will I get ticketed if stopped in another state with stricter rules?
This seems to make my home states law irrelevant unless I never leave it.
Thanks for any response.
Tom
wildtoad
The answer to that question is complicated and convoluted... and depends whether or not your state has a reciprocity agreement covering "motor vehicle equipment laws" with the state you are towing in.

However your state drivers license, your vehicle registration and license plates, (if current), are valid in all states.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If I am legal in my home state for towing, will I get ticketed if stopped in another state with stricter rules? This seems to make my home states law irrelevant unless I never leave it.
The short answer is "Yes", you are absolutely correct on this specific issue.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #8

Thanks for all replies. I guess an investment in a braking system is in my future.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #9

Having towed with one and without one ( braking system) , I'll never voluntarily tow without one again. They make a WORLD of difference!
2000 American Eagle 40'
2015 Jeep GC Outlander 4wd
Kbrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrede View Post
They make a WORLD of difference!
2000 American Eagle 40'

Unfortunately because most. (all?). toad brake systems active the brakes on the car being towed the pads/shoes/brake systems of towed cars need work/repair far more often.
Mel
'96 safari, 145k miles, (117k towing)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Specifically, the other states will recognize your driver license and class as from you home state. What you have to abide by are the states laws for towing length, speeds, weights and double towing. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Towing World Official Website is the best site I've found for state by state towing laws for vehicles. Most of the other ones give you the laws for a trailer. Most states differentiate between a trailer and a vehicle for their towing laws.
exgman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
Towing World Official Website is the best site I've found for state by state towing laws for vehicles. Most of the other ones give you the laws for a trailer. Most states differentiate between a trailer and a vehicle for their towing laws.
Thanks for the web site, I just noticed the max height for my home state (Colorado) is 13 feet. I wonder if anybody ever got a ticket for being to tall?
Old 12-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrede View Post
Having towed with one and without one ( braking system) , I'll never voluntarily tow without one again. They make a WORLD of difference!
2000 American Eagle 40'
I've never had one until last year when we bought our current DP. However, my parents have been motorhoming since 1990 and still don't have one. They even had a partial disconnect when a bolt failed in their tow bar, still no supplemental braking system. "The safety chains are all you need." I have one and don't even notice it except the lights on the cab control change from time to time. Our 40DP doesn't even care about a puny 2-door S-10 Blazer. But it will look good at the crash scene!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing