Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Towing Jeep Cherokee

Anyone have instructions to install the Mopar wiring harness in a 2016 Jeep Cherokee to prevent wandering while flat towing? I purchased the kit, but the dealer has no idea how to install it. It did not come with instructions.
Njwandrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a Jeep guy but noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello! Enjoy!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

When I ordered and rec'd my kit it did come with fully illustrated instructions, they were somewhat complicated so I did not try myself. The install required a hook up to the FCA computer so I took it in to the dealer and they installed it no charge. I think maybe you need to try another dealer.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njwandrr View Post
Anyone have instructions to install the Mopar wiring harness in a 2016 Jeep Cherokee to prevent wandering while flat towing? I purchased the kit, but the dealer has no idea how to install it. It did not come with instructions.
I have the instructions but the file is too large to post here. If you would like to PM me your email address I'll be happy to send you the PDF file.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

I purchased the flat tow harness from my dealer for my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. The kit as delivered from the dealer did contain the installation instructions which I used to install it myself. The installation instructions below were found on Jeepcherokeeclub.com

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_F...ew?usp=sharing
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Had the deler install mine. The factory required it otherwise they claim it voids the warranty to tow without it. But, and thats a big but, it DID NOT HELP!. Happened 3 times in the year and a half we owned the Jeep. Eventually figured out what causes it, but could not prevent it from happening.
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone for your input. They downloaded the instructions from Mopar.com, which I now have a copy of.
Any tips on towing the Cherokee using the new set up?
Njwandrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazi View Post
Had the deler install mine. The factory required it otherwise they claim it voids the warranty to tow without it. But, and thats a big but, it DID NOT HELP!. Happened 3 times in the year and a half we owned the Jeep. Eventually figured out what causes it, but could not prevent it from happening.
Wonder how they claim it voids factory warranty without it, if there was never a factory notification that it was required???

Anyone ever get a notice from the factory that 4 down towing required an upgrade kit on the 2014-2018 Cherokee?

I didn’t
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Wonder how they claim it voids factory warranty without it, if there was never a factory notification that it was required???

Anyone ever get a notice from the factory that 4 down towing required an upgrade kit on the 2014-2018 Cherokee?

I didn’t
The requirement for the flat tow harness is in the Owner’s Manual (for example on page 375 of the 2017 manual:

• Before towing, see your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit

This was not originally present in the manuals for the 2014 and 2015 models (including my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk) before the death wobble came to light and before the flat tow harness was developed. Once FCA developed the harness they then issued a recall which consisted of only updating those owner’s manuals to include that statement. FCA paid for installing the harness for the owners affected by this recall and the owner’s manual requirement change for a short time only, then considered it a vehicle accessory and no longer would pay for it. I did not order the harness within FCA’s unannounced time window and could not get them to pay for mine on my 2015 so I wound up buying the harness and installed it myself.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
The requirement for the flat tow harness is in the Owner’s Manual (for example on page 375 of the 2017 manual:

• Before towing, see your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit

This was not originally present in the manuals for the 2014 and 2015 models (including my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk) before the death wobble came to light and before the flat tow harness was developed. Once FCA developed the harness they then issued a recall which consisted of only updating those owner’s manuals to include that statement. FCA paid for installing the harness for the owners affected by this recall and the owner’s manual requirement change for a short time only, then considered it a vehicle accessory and no longer would pay for it. I did not order the harness within FCA’s unannounced time window and could not get them to pay for mine on my 2015 so I wound up buying the harness and installed it myself.
I think you made my point. If all they did was update the manual in future years and not notify owners of 2014/15 Cherokees, I don’t think they can void the warranty because 2014/15 owners were never officially notified. FCS/Chrysler handled this poorly and I give them an “F” in customer satisfaction.....
Old 12-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think you made my point. If all they did was update the manual in future years and not notify owners of 2014/15 Cherokees, I don’t think they can void the warranty because 2014/15 owners were never officially notified. FCS/Chrysler handled this poorly and I give them an “F” in customer satisfaction.....
I received the attached addendum to my owner's manual for my 2014 Cherokee. FCA paid for the parts and installation although it took the dealership a couple of tries to get it working correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yellow card.pdf (311.2 KB, 25 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
As I said in my post, FCA issued a recall that updated the affected owner’s manuals requiring the flat tow harness. I have traded my car so no longer have the updated card for the owner’s manual and just provided the words from the 2017 online manual as an example. Bob provided the exact card that was officially sent to the owner’s of those Cherokees. FCA used the recall process to officially reach those affected owners which is about all they could do.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
When the dealer found out that we were going to tow this behind out motorhome they pointed out that the manual required that harness and that towing without the harness would void the factory warranty. They installed it, but as I said, it does not stop the problem.
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I received the attached addendum to my owner's manual for my 2014 Cherokee. FCA paid for the parts and installation although it took the dealership a couple of tries to get it working correctly.
Thanks for that Bob, I do not believe I ever received that but I easily could have missed it.

Tags
cherokee, tow, towing