Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing Jeep Wranger

Ok - new to the MH ownership and decided to get a toad. I bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler today. It is automatic. The instructions to get ready to tow and return to normal look fairly clear. Some questions:

1. Do you have to take off the negative on the battery as stated in the manual (I normally make it a practice to following manufacture instructions) or is that only if towing for a certain period of time?

2. If you do need to disconnect the negative on the battery is there a switch designed for such purpose? I have a heavy duty 12 v. switch (rated for 300 amps continuous / 500 amps intermittent - it is the same as the switch in my Winnebago MH for house battery disconnect we found under the co-pilot seat just sitting there after we got home with the new mh) or is there something else more suited for the purpose?

3. I see a lot of blue ox tow bars being used. My MH is a Minnie Winnie 32KP with 5,000 tow and the toad is as noted above. What is recommended as good product?

4. Do you need a brake buddy of some kind? I will be traveling in several states but reside in Texas and have Texas plates.

Ideas appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
laj

no batt disconnect or charge line needed. the manual hasnt been updated to reflect the new models since the steering wheel lock was removed. on mine i used roadmaster tow bar, and smi brake setup. all works perfect. just put transfer in neutral and trans in park. take key out, lock door and no problems.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
You do NOT need to disconnect the negative cable. On my 2014 Wrangler I tow with a Blue Ox Aventia II tow bar and Blue Ox base plate. I use the Mopar wiring harness for lighting and the Blue Ox Patriot braking system. It works flawless. In my opinion you definitely need a braking system with your setup.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
You do NOT need to disconnect the negative cable. On my 2014 Wrangler I tow with a Blue Ox Aventia II tow bar and Blue Ox base plate. I use the Mopar wiring harness for lighting and the Blue Ox Patriot braking system. It works flawless. In my opinion you definitely need a braking system with your setup.
Thanks - can you tell me how the Patriot breaking system works - and it is difficult to hook up / unhook? Also, why you choose the mopar wiring harness instead of a blue ox product? All this is new to me so greatly apprecaite your help.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use the Roadmaster system. Towbar, base plate, wiring harness, brake system and safety cables.

With my Jeep, I shift the transfer case to Neutral, put the transmission into Park, remove the key and tow the Jeep. The wiring harness uses the coaches electrical system to energize the Jeep lights, and uses diodes to isolate the Jeep battery so that the battery terminal does NOT need to be disconnected. I suspect the Mopar wiring harness is similar. Plus since the ignition on the Jeep has to be in the off position to remove the key, none of the ACC stuff is energized. This minimizes the electrical demands of the Jeep to those things that normally are energized when it's off, clock, etc.

I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional braking system, which uses the air from the coaches braking system to activate a ram attached to the Jeep brake pedal. It takes me roughly 15 minutes to hook up the Jeep, shift it to Neutral and install the brake system. That's from the time I pull the Jeep behind the coach until I put the coach into Drive and leave.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
Thanks - can you tell me how the Patriot breaking system works - and it is difficult to hook up / unhook? Also, why you choose the mopar wiring harness instead of a blue ox product? All this is new to me so greatly apprecaite your help.
The Blue Ox Patriot braking system is an electrically powered box that sits on the floor and connects to your brake pedal. The technology uses a motion detector to know when to apply the brakes on the toad. It is also has a wireless control that the driver can monitor and make any adjustments he/she may want to increase/decrease braking sensitivity. The Mopar harness connects into the existing Jeep harness and comes with a 7 pin male cable connector to plug directly into your MH female connector. The harness is a bit of a pain to install but worth it in the end.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
As already stated, the manual is outdated. I used the wiring harness made by a small company by the name of cooltech. It's a plug and play system that is very easy to install. The Blue Ox system has you drilling holes in your tail lights, which is not a good system. You will need a toad brake system, since most states require it. I use the Blue Ox Patriot since we have two different toads set up for towing and I need the flexibility to move the device between the two. The Patriot has functioned very well, but there are other very good systems. Air Force One is excellent, but is not portable.

Here is the Cooltech site. Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, here is what I ordered and plan to be installed on 26 and 27 June - so if any comments or hints I should be aware of please advise.

Road Master Base Plate 1432-1
RM520 tow bar
RM154 wiring harness
RM164 flex coil
Brake Buddy Classic

Hope this will get me set up and going. Plan to leave Texas for Iowa in first week of July for Winnebago GNR.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Super simple... Get yourself a ready brute tow bar and the Currie JK base plate. Then install a second set of bulbs in your rear signal housings and wire then up for your RV... Or pay a trailer shop to do it for you; it'll be cheap. Spend four hours in your driveway installing the tow plate and running the cable for the ready brute break. Done. You'll spend half the money and the system will perform as good or better than all that electronic crap. The tow bar and brake are made in Kansas so at least part of your money will stay in the states too.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
Well, here is what I ordered and plan to be installed on 26 and 27 June - so if any comments or hints I should be aware of please advise.

Road Master Base Plate 1432-1
RM520 tow bar
RM154 wiring harness
RM164 flex coil
Brake Buddy Classic

Hope this will get me set up and going. Plan to leave Texas for Iowa in first week of July for Winnebago GNR.
I assume that you got safety cables also? Welcome to Iowa, hope you enjoy your stay!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #11

True Rookie towing Wrangler

OK folks, this is my first post on the site. And my first question. We have a 38' Fleetwood Southwind gas coach and purchased a 2013 2 door auto Jeep Wrangler as our toad. We got all hooked up with tow bar and braking system and all the goodies BUT I have a question about the Wrangler. Tranny in neutral and park but what about the steering wheel? do I have to have the key on to avoid the wheel lock or is there a wheel lock at all. When towing, I allow the Jeep to just track and the front wheels turn at will?? thanks for the info folks!
Rookie RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I tow a 2009 wrangler and I do not have to leave key in ignition. The wheels track (turn freely) as needed.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
OK folks, this is my first post on the site. And my first question. We have a 38' Fleetwood Southwind gas coach and purchased a 2013 2 door auto Jeep Wrangler as our toad. We got all hooked up with tow bar and braking system and all the goodies BUT I have a question about the Wrangler. Tranny in neutral and park but what about the steering wheel? do I have to have the key on to avoid the wheel lock or is there a wheel lock at all. When towing, I allow the Jeep to just track and the front wheels turn at will?? thanks for the info folks!
You're correct. I have a 2013 also. No need for key in ignition, there is no wheel lock.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I use the Roadmaster system. Towbar, base plate, wiring harness, brake system and safety cables.

With my Jeep, I shift the transfer case to Neutral, put the transmission into Park, remove the key and tow the Jeep. The wiring harness uses the coaches electrical system to energize the Jeep lights, and uses diodes to isolate the Jeep battery so that the battery terminal does NOT need to be disconnected. I suspect the Mopar wiring harness is similar. Plus since the ignition on the Jeep has to be in the off position to remove the key, none of the ACC stuff is energized. This minimizes the electrical demands of the Jeep to those things that normally are energized when it's off, clock, etc.

I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional braking system, which uses the air from the coaches braking system to activate a ram attached to the Jeep brake pedal. It takes me roughly 15 minutes to hook up the Jeep, shift it to Neutral and install the brake system. That's from the time I pull the Jeep behind the coach until I put the coach into Drive and leave.
We use the almost the same system to tow our 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar
Roadmaster XL baseplates
Roadmaster 9060 Proportional braking system.

The 9060 braking system is the same system for gas engine motorhomes. The air is supplied by an onboard compressor that comes with the kit.

We had a similar system in our 2001 motorhome. The only difference was the towbar. It was the now obsolete Roadmaster Sterling

Tags
towing