Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Towing jeep wrangler

Just purchased a 2012 wrangler unlimited and would like to tow behind my 36' winniebago chieftain.
Have not towed anything before, looking for best information on base plates, tow bars, brake requirements and systems, light for towing, and anything I have not thought of, which is most likely a lot.
The chieftain has a 10,000 towing capacity, and the jeep has the AEV premium bumper.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi there. Congrats on the Jeep. You'll find tons of info here about towing the JK. We tow our 2007 JKU behind our Dolphin. If you decide to diy the project expect to spend 1400-2000. Having someone else do it, somewhere near 4k. I use a Roadmaster 1428 base plate, demco adapter and a ready brute / ready brake set up for the tow bar and aux braking. I also have a CooltechLLC wiring harness. I did the whole project myself in one day and under $1400.00. Take a look at this forum and search "Jeep Wrangler JK". You'll get a 100 opinions and a 100 posts.
Cheers

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Rick
Thanks for the reply. It points me in a direction to start researching components to start building a system.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'll second the Readybrute / Readybrake system. I put on a Blue Ox base plate and I also use the CoolTech wiring harness. There is nothing really hard about installing an of it, it's the most cost effective system out there and it works great.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox base plate with Blue Ox Aventa tow bar. US Gear UTB, or M&G or SMI braking system. The Cooltech wiring harness is easy to install. Since your 2012 does not have steering lock you will not need the key in the ignition. As your manual states transfer case in neutral and trans in park.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
before you buy your base plate make sure your bumper will not interfere w/baseplate
be concern about bumper and bplate needing same holes for mounting
we use a blueox plate and tow bar , brake buddy and drilled our tail lights and wired in bulbs and sockets no compromise of jeeps electrical system
2nd jeep we have towed first a 2010 now a 2011 . getting ready to add our 2012 explorer to our "fleet" will do the same install
sometime our jeep is no enough car when we camp with others
enjoy your JEEP
brian
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser
before you buy your base plate make sure your bumper will not interfere w/baseplate
be concern about bumper and bplate needing same holes for mounting
we use a blueox plate and tow bar , brake buddy and drilled our tail lights and wired in bulbs and sockets no compromise of jeeps electrical system
2nd jeep we have towed first a 2010 now a 2011 . getting ready to add our 2012 explorer to our "fleet" will do the same install
sometime our jeep is no enough car when we camp with others
enjoy your JEEP
brian
Thanks
Will check with AEV to see if they have any information on base plates with there bumper, or blue ox to see if they have done anything with the AEV bumper.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #8

Hi, You might want to look into the Currie Industries Base plate. Serves as a replacement for the plastic version below and behind the front bumper and as a skid/protection plate. Strong and inexpensive designed for Jeep wranglers.
Here is a link Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts

They go on sale from other suppliers for $100 may even include shipping.
I have this on my 2012 Sahara. Do a search on this forum for photos installed.
Robert
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #9

2012 jeep wrangler

I have a new 2012 jeep wrangler. Had a electronic battery disconnect installed which switches off the battery when MH lights are turned on. I really don't think this is a big deal because the draw would be minimal, but wanted to make sure no damage would happen to electronics in the jeep. Further i had a 1995 wrangler I had to leave the key in in the acc position , with the 2012 I believe I do not need to leave the key in as the steering wheel lock is not present.
Thanks for your response.