Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #1

Towing jeep wrangler 2001

New to the towing with rv . I have heard you can't tow some cars and wanted to make sure it was ok to tow out Jeep Wrangler 2001 Sport TJ. I figured you would have the answers I would need

Carolhic
Carolhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolhic View Post
New to the towing with rv . I have heard you can't tow some cars and wanted to make sure it was ok to tow out Jeep Wrangler 2001 Sport TJ. I figured you would have the answers I would need

Carolhic
I tow my 2001 TJ Sport everywhere. Just put the transfer case in nuetral and the key one step forward so the steering does not lock.

I have a stowmaster tow bar by roadmaster. Easy hookup and i can leave it on the jeep. There are lots of brake options. I have an easybrake but would look at other intalled options if i had it to do over.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #3

Thank you that is a lot of help. We just got the Roadmaster but haven't done a brake system yet because of cash flow we have to do it in stages.
Carolhic
Carolhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wrangler is the easiest tow out there. As Taz said, transfer case in neutral, trans in park. I disabled the steering lock on mine, there is a thread on how to do it.
I used bumper mount tow bar brackets ($52) on an aftermarket bumper with a Blue ox alladin tow bar that stores on the motorhome.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless you've got one of those rare 2WD Wranglers, you'll have no problem towing the Jeep 4 down. Find a used brake system, I don't recommend anyone tow without one and in a lot of states it's not legal to tow without one.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just got a BrakeBuddy Classic on Ebay with breakaway switch and alert monitor for $465 to my door. There are always several on there.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolhic View Post
Thank you that is a lot of help. We just got the Roadmaster but haven't done a brake system yet because of cash flow we have to do it in stages.
Carolhic
You are right at the edge of needing brakes. I went three years without them. No difference in normal towing. I added then primarily for emergency stoping. I have an evenbrake... CRS at my age... Have not needed it but have it if I need it. The TJ is right at 3,000lbs. I use diods for the lights and spliced them in on the drivers side door jam. Real easy. Let me know if you need a pic.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Taz got it right. 4WD TJ Wranglers are a snap to tow. I have been towing one since 1999 and have had zero problems. Currently towing a 2000 Wrangler TJ with auto transmission and have towed it since new. I do recommend you obtain a supplemental braking system. I currently use the Blue Ox Patriot and have for about a year and like it so far. I have had no problems with this braking system. Even though Jeeps are fairly light weight, many states require supplemental brakes on anything over 1500 pounds. Your insurance carrier may require you to have one as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

WE tow a 2001 Jeep GC .. Blue OX plate, Blue Ox Adladin 7500# tow bar, and the Blue Ox Patriot brake system .. had them add the separate wire harness with added bulbs in the rear lenses..... I had the toad battery system go down on me once so I bought a 750Amp portable charger battery unit that I use in toad for the power supply to the brake system... saves the toad battery and as long as I rem to turn off the radio, heater fans, GPS, etc in the toad, can tow for days.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Towing a Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
I tow my 2001 TJ Sport everywhere. Just put the transfer case in nuetral and the key one step forward so the steering does not lock.

I have a stowmaster tow bar by roadmaster. Easy hookup and i can leave it on the jeep. There are lots of brake options. I have an easybrake but would look at other intalled options if i had it to do over.
I tow my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and I take the key out of the ignition. Look under the steering column, around where the key goes in, you will find a little square covering plate, held on by two screws if I remember right. Torex screws with a little stud about the size of a pin in the center of the screw. If you brake the little pin out, your able to unscrew the screw. When the little plate drops out a little stud about 1/4" by 1/2" and a little spring drops out also. This is the steering wheel lock when you take your key out. Put plate back on and you won't have to leave your key in the ignition. I take mine out, lock the doors.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote