Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Towing Jeep Wrangler on Tow Dolly

I have a Jeep Wrangler with auto transmission that I currently tow Behind the Motorhome 4 Down. I am seriously considering purchasing a Towhaul, so we can also take our Golf Cart with Us. My question is whether it makes any difference in Towing the Jeep 2 or 4 down. Just trying to figure out the best route for me, personally. I really don't want to put the Golf Cart on a seperate trailer behind the Jeep.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
According to the Jeep manual you cannot dolly tow a four wheel drive. Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2014 | Jeep

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Towing a Wrangler on a dolly is not recommended. I tow mine easily wheels down with a towbar.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Wrangler + Tow Dolly = I've used a tow dolly before with a different vehicle, and after that experience, I sold vehicle and tow dolly and bought the Wrangler.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
I really don't want to put the Golf Cart on a seperate trailer behind the Jeep.
Which, BTW, is illegal in some places.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Might have to go with a full trailer that will accommodate both the Wrangler and gold cart.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you pull the front driveshaft out, I believe you should be able to tow the Jeep on a dolly. I was having front end issues with my '00 Cherokee and had to pull the front DS out while towing 4 down. This would be the same as towing it on a dolly with the front DS removed. I had no post towing issues with the Cherokee.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

On a 4WD Wrangler you cannot tow with the rear wheels moving and the front stationary. Something to do with the transfer case pump.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If you pull the front driveshaft out, I believe you should be able to tow the Jeep on a dolly...
Except, this is backwards. You would need to disconnect the wheels that will still be rolling, not the ones lashed to the dolly.

You can't tow a 4X4 Jeep with only two wheels on the ground, unless you do something "drastic", like disconnect the rear driveshaft at the differential, and who's going to want to do that every time? (Or install a full floating axle with manual lockouts).

I agree your best, if not only, solution to taking both the Jeep and a cart is going to be a trailer on which you can carry both of them.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #10

Check into the "Swivel Wheel" trailer it connects in two places on the back of your Jeep and the trailer follows behind with no swivel point.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Jeep with an NP231 transfer case, like the one in my Cherokee and many TJ Wranglers, can be towed 4-down when the front DS is removed. I don't know what kind of "Wrangler" the OP has, so this may not apply. I researched this topic extensively before I attempted it. It is the rear DS that lube the transfer case. The front DS is along for the ride, but can't be held stationary (i.e. on a dolly), while the rear DS is turning. I looked at manual hubs, but they were too costly. Does it make the most sense to remove the front DS and tow on a dolly---probably not, but it is an option. MY Jeep has a lunch-box locker in the front axle and towing it 4-down caused all kinds of issues with blowing out the axle u-joints and the hub bearings. I had a need to tow my Cherokee from NH to FL and back one year and the only real option was to remove the front DS. 4WD really wasn't needed in FL, so I left it out. I put about 3,500 towing it 4-down this way and then driving about 5,000 mile with it out with no issues.

Fran
Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
Check into the "Swivel Wheel" trailer it connects in two places on the back of your Jeep and the trailer follows behind with no swivel point.
A couple of friends of mine use a system like this behind their 5th wheels. One uses it for his golf cart and the other for his smart car. It's not considered a second "trailer" because it is fixed at two points and can't pivot about the trailer hitch. You just need to watch out for the tail swing. My friend with the Smart Car trailer had a tail swing of over 9 feet---the back of the trailer on the 5th wheel swung completely into the next lane---look out cars!

Fran
Old 06-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #13

I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee 4x4. Now I have a tow dolly.
I don't understand why its ok to tow 4 down but not 2 down on a dolly. The book says to put the transfer case in neutral and the forward reverse shifter in park.
Every thing is disengaged. The drive shaft is still spinning as in 4 down towing. Just spent $3000. on a Kar Kaddy SS and now I have doubts about using it. I'm in to deep now I'll pull the rear drive shaft if I have to. Any one towed an older Cherokee on a dolly before?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK YES you can tow a 4 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee, Liberty etc on a tow dolly without removing the drive shaft. Call or go into any Jeep service and speak to them. all you need to do is put the tranny into neutral, then put the transaxle into neutral then put the tranny into park. I always then have the DW pull up a few feet while I watch that the rear wheels are turning. This is also outlined in the manual.

The manual also says you cannot tow on a dolly with a front wheel lift. That means with a lift kit not a dolly. If that were the case a tow truck could not tow it either.

I spoke with 3 different service dept's and they all gave me the same answer.

zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow dolly, towing