Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #15

Experienced the front brakes locking up on toad Monday on I85 outside of Duham, NC. $435 later in towing fees to get car back to central VA waiting for mechanic to tell me how much more to repair car. Not sure why BO Patriot engaged brakes. Pulled about 25 miles before realizing what happened. Not a fun trip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No matter what the state limit is for weight of a towed vehicle and whether it is a towed vehicle or a trailer, the basic laws of physics will always reign and over rule a state law.

The fact is your motorhome is having to stop more weight and more weight means a longer stopping distance. More braking surface and more tire surface help shorten the stopping distance. If the dinghy braking system manages to stop you 3" shorter, that 3" may make the difference between an accident or no accident.

Also, the braking system needs a break away device to stop the dinghy in the event that it comes loose from the motorhome and they do occasionally come loose due to a broken bracket or tow bar.

So the $1200 is really an insignificant amount when you look at the cost of the RV, the dinghy and the potential for damage to property or taking a life.

Personally, I'd leave the dinghy home until I could get the braking system installed.

Ken

Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Experienced the front brakes locking up on toad Monday on I85 outside of Duham, NC. $435 later in towing fees to get car back to central VA waiting for mechanic to tell me how much more to repair car. Not sure why BO Patriot engaged brakes. Pulled about 25 miles before realizing what happened. Not a fun trip.
I'm confused, isn't the BO Patriot an entertainment system? What's that got to do with the brakes?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It varies from state to state, there is no one law (other than the laws of
physics) that covers every instance in every state.

Since you will have to comply with every states laws that you're in at the time and the laws of physics I have add'l braking on our towed. There is no reciprocity on equipment laws like there is for licenses.
Are you 100% positive on this? I'm pretty sure I can drive my non-Calf emission compliant vehicle in Calf without getting a ticket. But I'm not sure either because back when radar detectors were popular lots of states allowed them but if you crossed into other states that banned them you could be ticketed. So its weird how people are supposed to know the laws in every state.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #19

The point is that the trip can be made.

I do hope the laws of physics are not tested in your journey, and I wish you well.

But if I was in the same position, I would put a few bucks on credit and bite the bullet, or leave the toad.

That would make the laws, wonderings, and ponderings moot. And let your phyche arrive without undue wear and tear.

Just sayin......

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Did you run through the set up procedure to bleed the vacuum from your system before hitting the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I'm confused, isn't the BO Patriot an entertainment system? What's that got to do with the brakes?
There might be an entertainment system by that name but I think he was talking about this. Blue Ox Braking System | Free Shipping Blue Ox Patriot Portable Brake System - By Blue Ox

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Brakes on the towed vehicle makes you stop in a shorter distance, regardless of the state you're traveling through. You don't need to buy a new unit, Look on Ebay, they have a number of 'Brake Buddy' type removable units for much less than new:
Brakebuddy Classic RV Towing Braking System Brake Buddy Original | eBay

Brake Buddy Classic RV Tow Brake System | eBay

Also check Craig's List.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #22

Joseph I agree with you on hardly needing the assisted braking as a sidekick isnt much weight in comparison to the MH. As I used to drive a 28k lb dump truck that was 55k when loaded with the same brakes. So I quickly learned how to stop with a 20,000lb differential a 4,000 lb vehicle will be barely noticeable. But out of safety/legal sake I would plan to get something if you dont for this trip.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The point is that the trip can be made.

I do hope the laws of physics are not tested in your journey, and I wish you well.

But if I was in the same position, I would put a few bucks on credit and bite the bullet, or leave the toad.

That would make the laws, wonderings, and ponderings moot. And let your phyche arrive without undue wear and tear.

Just sayin......
I'm not seeing they are a proven safety advantage, and their failure rate giving false braking commands remains another unknown. In the risk vs benefit equation they don't rate all that high on the plus side. To me it's more about protecting my spotless CDL from goofy state laws than thinking this thing is a real safety bonus.
-
In the past week I spent $3000 on tires (a true safety issue) and $2000 on service and other repairs before leaving for this trip. Every budget has a limit and this device simply has to wait for another couple of paychecks. Canceling my vacation for it, not even a consideration.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like one said...be careful and hopefully safe.

Ken
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #25

Who's checking?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post

I'm not seeing they are a proven safety advantage, and their failure rate giving false braking commands remains another unknown. In the risk vs benefit equation they don't rate all that high on the plus side. To me it's more about protecting my spotless CDL from goofy state laws than thinking this thing is a real safety bonus.
-
In the past week I spent $3000 on tires (a true safety issue) and $2000 on service and other repairs before leaving for this trip. Every budget has a limit and this device simply has to wait for another couple of paychecks. Canceling my vacation for it, not even a consideration.
I understand and wish you well on your important journey.
However, they are a proven safety advantage. Please read the link.
For the safety of you and the public, please check your towbar etc on a regular basis.
My sincere best wishes for a safe trip!
Dave
The Physics of Towed-Vehicle Braking

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #27

I have also just recently(thanks to this site) learned that some states require brake assists on such light weights such as toads. I have no doubt that more brakes are better, there's no question about that. I have read some people say they don't want to be on the road with other rv's that don't use a braking system on their toads lol.....I can only assume that's because they don't think they can stop fast enough in a panic situation. If that is the case then why not avoid roads with big trucks, or older cars with rear drum brakes(that are rarely set up properly) or rural areas where farm trucks a routinely overloaded on short trips?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua72 View Post
I have also just recently(thanks to this site) learned that some states require brake assists on such light weights such as toads. I have no doubt that more brakes are better, there's no question about that. I have read some people say they don't want to be on the road with other rv's that don't use a braking system on their toads lol.....I can only assume that's because they don't think they can stop fast enough in a panic situation. If that is the case then why not avoid roads with big trucks, or older cars with rear drum brakes(that are rarely set up properly) or rural areas where farm trucks a routinely overloaded on short trips?
To many folks, it's not a "lol" matter. And, it's not just about panic stops. Out west, we have a lot of very long downhill runs and if service brakes on a coach are overloaded for an extended period of time bad things can happen to those innocent folks just down the road who ARE able to control their speed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote