Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #1

I called Remco today to purchase a Lube Pump and I was advised that they don't offer a model for the Lexus LX 470. The service representative told me that he heard that many people were towing their vehicles without a lube pump installed and reported there were no issues in regard to damage to the car.

I was wondering if their is anyone in the forum who has an LX 470 and if they are experiencing any problems in towing their vehicle. (Our car is a 2002 model).

If you did not want to take a risk and did purchase a lube pump for your LX 470, who was the manufacturer?

Thank you!
amwelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #2

I called Remco today to purchase a Lube Pump and I was advised that they don't offer a model for the Lexus LX 470. The service representative told me that he heard that many people were towing their vehicles without a lube pump installed and reported there were no issues in regard to damage to the car.

I was wondering if their is anyone in the forum who has an LX 470 and if they are experiencing any problems in towing their vehicle. (Our car is a 2002 model).

If you did not want to take a risk and did purchase a lube pump for your LX 470, who was the manufacturer?

Thank you!
amwelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Amwelker, welcome to iRV2.

Even though Remco knows towing, you are wise in trying to locate other folks in the same situation.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The difficulty is that lack of lubrication in a transmission is usually a slow death rather than an immediate failure. A transmission good for 250k miles might last only 100k miles if it gets inadequate lubrication. Or maybe only 25k miles... hard to guess.

If you tow without the pump, check the ATF regularly (daily at first) for signs of overheating. It will discolor or get a "burned toast" smell if it is running hot. That's a sure sign of problems and you should immediately change the fluid and stop towing it until you can find a disconnect or a lube pump. Or run the engine while you tow so that it circulates its own fluid.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There is a long, previous thread concerning another owners attempts to tow an LX470. As I recall, he has been successful in doing so.

LX 470 Toad
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

help! im a newby to towing the lx 470. can it be done or not? anyone out there with some data? saw a fellow several years ago that had been doing it with no problem but don't want to burn up the tranny. thx for any response.
boeingdr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #7

Check out ih8mud.com, it is a landcruiser forum and has lots of post about driving four down. Lx 470=landcruiser
haskins1111 is offline   Reply With Quote