Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

towing Lexus or Toyota all wheel drive

Does anyone tow a Lexus or Toyota all wheel drive with all four wheels on the ground? If so what do you do? If not, any suggestions on how to?
Dave Mac

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Just MHO, but I'd call Toyota to see if either can be towed four down. My CRV has instructions in the owner's manual listing how to tow it four down.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that Toyota does not allow 4-down towing on any of their cars.

Ken
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

No automatic transmission Toyota or Lexus vehicle may be towed 4 down without extensive modifications to the transmission. You will need to add a auxilliary transmission cooling pump to the passenger cars or a cooling pump and drive shaft disconnect to 4X4 trucks.

Go here for more info: www.remcotowing.com
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

We tow a 2007 Lexus 470...
Transmission in park
Transfer case in neutral and leave key in but not on, so steering won't lock.
Blue ox is way to go. One man operation.
3 min hook-up and 2 min un-hook
Been towing this SUV since it was new.
No pumps nothing else... No problems
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

I am a member to Ih8mud.com a Toyota Landcruiser forum. Many members and I do tow four down without any modifications. These are Awd vehicles, put transfer case in neutral, transmission in park and key turned to first click. Sometimes people put info out without any knowledge on the topic. Not sure where lllkrob got his info.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
No automatic transmission Toyota or Lexus vehicle may be towed 4 down without extensive modifications to the transmission.
That may be a bit strong. For Lexus (and most vehicles), it all depends on the year/model/trans - and it may take some heavy homework. Lexus has stated "no tow" at first and then issued TSIBs later changing that. For me, my 1999 Lexus RX-300 AWD automatic is flat towable, no mods, for 200mi at 55mph max - per Lexus TSIB AX003-99 which reversed prior "no tow" claims. I only added a Remco pump just so I don't have to stop every 200miles and can go faster than 55mph. In 4 years as a dingy it's been dragged over 75,000 miles (on top of its 220,000 driven miles) and not a hint of any driveline damage - other than normal wear. And it is still going strong.

To repeat another post's IMHO, IMHO the ONLY source for definitive yes/no is the manufacturer and to have it from them in print. Absolutely, Home | Remco Towing is a superb starting point to find vehicles, but personally, I would follow up directly with the manufacturer of the car with very specific engine/trans/chassis/VIN info. After all, if there ever happens to be an issue, the manufacturer sure isn't going take Remco's word for it.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Blue Ox Aventa LX - because of the ball joint design. Practically any angle, any contortion and hook up is still just a one-person 3min or less deal.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
No automatic transmission Toyota or Lexus vehicle may be towed 4 down without extensive modifications to the transmission. You will need to add a auxilliary transmission cooling pump to the passenger cars or a cooling pump and drive shaft disconnect to 4X4 trucks.

Go here for more info: www.remcotowing.com
Wrong. 1999, 2000 and 2001 Lexus RX300 series can be towed 4 down with no modifications. I have a letter from Lexus stating that. I've towed our 2000 Lexus RX300 about 20,000 miles with no problems.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #10

I tow a 1997 Toyota Landcruiser (badged lexus) (6000lb rig) four down. A few have done it before me but it hasn't really been documented.

Toyota says don't do it. I'm sure this topic has been covered countless times for numerous other models.

So far 8,000 mile - no issues.

I chose the 97 over any other model year because I believe its the best 4x4 out there STOCK with lockers (electric). I've had 7 of this model and know pretty much everything about them (torn a few to the frame).... I heard lots of Naysayers... and thats cool, everyone has a voice. Use it. Give fair warning.

But if you really want something, do your research and be willing to take risks.

I would tow NO other vehicle.
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy
Transmission in park
La-Z-Boy
Is your Lexus a GX470? I have a 2007 GX470 and would like tow. Have had a lot of mixed ideas. You are the first to tow one that i've seen. Any info would be helpful. Who set your car up and such. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've still got the connections for a GX470 - which I assume is the Lexus branded Land Cruiser... So someone is towin' 'em 4-down... If you need the RoadMaster stuff let me know.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Transmission in park
Hope you are still out there. If so, would you please clarify your post. I am wanting to flat tow a GX470( 2006 ) and I am finding conflicting info. My GX has AWD and the high/low/neutral selector as well and it seems logical that when the xfer case is in N the transmission and other drive components are not involved.
Thanks

Tags
towing