Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

hello everyone. I am new to rving. I recently purchased a used fleetwood discovery. I have been reading this forum and learning a lot. I have got a towing issue which has me confused.
I am uncertain on the towing limit on the coach. On the weight sheet in the rv, it says GTW is 5000. On the same page it says the hitch is good for 10000 if weight distributing and 5000 if not. the actual hitch says the same thing. I called fleetwood and they said 10000. What is the real answer? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

hello everyone. I am new to rving. I recently purchased a used fleetwood discovery. I have been reading this forum and learning a lot. I have got a towing issue which has me confused.
I am uncertain on the towing limit on the coach. On the weight sheet in the rv, it says GTW is 5000. On the same page it says the hitch is good for 10000 if weight distributing and 5000 if not. the actual hitch says the same thing. I called fleetwood and they said 10000. What is the real answer? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What chassis is under the Discovery? Probably a Freightliner, which likely has a 10,000 lb gross towing limit. That limit is subject to the actual hitch installed, which you state is 5,000 or 10,000 depending on weight distributing or not. That sounds typical for these coaches.

Actually, you can tow 10,000 lbs without weight distribution as long as the weight on the hitch does not exceed its weight carrying capacity, which should also be stated on it somewhere. So, for example, you could tow a car 4-down that weighed 10,000 lbs without a WD hitch, but could not tow a travel trailer of 10,000 lbs without one. That's because the 10,000 lb trailer puts around 1500 lbs of weight directly on the hitch, probably more than it can carry directly. WD shifts some of that weight forward, taking the strain off the hitch.

So the answer is, it depends on what you are towing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I had the same question and after some research agree with Gary.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #5

Commercial Member

To determine how much weight your coach can tow, you need to know at least 2 numbers: GCWR is the weight of the fully loaded motorhome plus it's towing capacity. Subtract this number from the GVWR which is the fully loaded weight of the coach itself (full fuel, water, cargo, people, etc.). The difference of these two numbers is your towing capacity.

You should be able to find these numbers somewhere inside your coach. If you cannot find them, call your coach manufacturer with your serial number, and they can tell you the two numbers, allowing you to calculate the amount of weight you can tow.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
What you didn't indicate is the year of your Discovery. They all are built on Freightliner chassis but the hitch was rated higher, after '03 I believe and in '03 the hitch capacity was misslabeled and the recall only replaced the sticker. Call Fleetwood Customer Service at 1-800-322-8216 or Freightliner with serial numbers and you'll get proper information. Or, perhaps you should join the Discovery Owners Association where you can get great support and information. http://www.discoveryowners.com/

2007 REV LE
Jack Myton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
All of the info above is correct but one thing you will have to do is to verify that the acutal weight of the coach loaded is at or below the numbers on the data plate. Also the toad loaded is the weight number you would plug into this calculation. Be sure to have a brake assist on the toad as you will probably not be legal without one and you may not be covered by insurance in the event of an accident.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #8

Thanks for everyones input. It is a 2004-2005 discovery (there is some question about that) I called the factory and they said 10K. I am going to email them to get written confirmation.
Thanks again for everyones response.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeh, the model year can be questioned because Fleetwood started making the '04 Discovery in the Fall of 2003, and then early in the year 2004, January or February, they started building the '05. The plan is surely to get a head start on the competition but starting a whole year early only hurts the following year's planning and marketing. The placards on the coach are the model year and the left front outside sticker is the actual build date. Sometimes it is considered better to have a earlier model. Our '07 Revolution was built in 2006, and has the 2006 C9, engine, pre-new standards. That was a selling point for us.

2007 REV LE
Jack Myton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #10

If you look at the posts from Gary Brinck and Pusherman you have all you need to know. The hitch capabilities are one factor, the coach capabilities (GCWR-actual GVW) are the other.
It's up to you to be sure the braking capability of whatever you end up with is okay...it's much easier to pull things than it is to stop them.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #11

Gary, we are about to get our 2007 Acadia ready for pulling 4-down. Is yours an AWD or 2WD? Ours is a 2WD. Depending on your answer, I will have a couple of questions.

thanks,

Horst
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Acadia is a Front Wheel Drive (2WD).

Rather than hijacking this topic, Horst, I suggest you start a new thread if you have questions. I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote