Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

towing mazda miata

we have always used a tow dolly to tow our Miata but we recently got a 2006 and would like to tow 4 wheels down. will a cheap tow bar work okay or should I spend more for an expensive one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I assume you've checked in the owner's manual to be sure your Miata is towable.

If cheap tow bar you mean a rigid tow bar that doesn't have telescoping arms, yes, you can use one, but it's much harder to hook up. You have to precisely aline the car to make the connections. Telescoping arms mean you just have to be within the area, make the connections, pull forward and the arms lock. Better tow bars are self storing, either on the back of the RV on the hitch or on the bumper of the car. I prefer the store on the hitch type.

Check on Craig's list or HERE for a used tow bar. Ebay also might have some.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervcoulter View Post
we have always used a tow dolly to tow our Miata but we recently got a 2006 and would like to tow 4 wheels down. will a cheap tow bar work okay or should I spend more for an expensive one?
Merv,

I towed a 2010 Miata 6M PRHT over 16,000 miles until it was butt-smacked and totaled (being driven, not towed).

I now tow a 2012 Mata 6MT PRHT. I, personally, installed the baseplate and did the tail light wiring on both cars.

Roadmaster is the ONLY company that makes a baseplate for the 2006 and later Miata.

I have helped more than a half dozen other owners to get their 2006+ Miatas towable and there are several things that you need to know before towing your 2006 4-down.

PLEASE contact me and let's discuss it before you go any farther. I can tell you what you need to know.

Tim - tim@themorans.org

Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

I installed my base plates per Healyman's instructions and have had absolutely no problems. That car is pretty light, so your current tow bar is adequate if it is in good condition. The Roadmaster instructions are adequate, but it took me longer than their estimate. I used diodes for the signal setup. Lots of fun pulling the wires through behind the drivers seat into the trunk, but not impossible. No drilling required.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

Whoops, thought you gave your tow bar brand. My mistake. Get an all terrain tow bar and you will never regret it. Hope your Miata is a standard? Autos are a no go.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing