Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Towing Mini Cooper

I am looking at buying a 2016 Mini Cooper, manual trasmission front wheel drive. Mini says no to dolly towing or 4 down. But, I have seem some Minis out there but I am not sure what years are ok to tow..
so for you guys that are towing Minis, what years are they? Also how are you towing it?
Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

2013 Mini basic, manual. Tow flat with no issues. Honestly don’t know of any issue with flat towing a manual Mini of any year. You may want to talk to an independent Mini mechanic who knows a 2016 and ask him directly.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #3

We’ve got a 2013 Roadster. I think that MINI is doing a CYA and not specifying it can be towed.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
we used to dolly tow 2010 mini with automatic...........no issues, towed like nothing was there....................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
we used to dolly tow 2010 mini with automatic...........no issues, towed like nothing was there....................
Regarding the tow dolly, I cannot understand why Mini is against it, being the car is fwd. I suspect it has to do with possible damage from the low suspension level of the Mini. Do you have any concerns about that as you tow your Mini with a dolly?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
2007 basic no problems.

Son tows a 2010 basic no problems.

If they make a base plate for it should tow just fine.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Regarding the tow dolly, I cannot understand why Mini is against it, being the car is fwd. I suspect it has to do with possible damage from the low suspension level of the Mini. Do you have any concerns about that as you tow your Mini with a dolly?
the low suspension was never an issue..............and the way i read the mini's owners manual and other documents, their main objection was related to 4 wheel down towing, especially with automatic....................that was definitely a no no.........the car was getting long in the tooth so we replaced it with a kia soul.........a really great vehicle to tow.............but if my wife decided to get another mini, i wouldn't hesitate dolly towing it.....................
Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
the low suspension was never an issue..............and the way i read the mini's owners manual and other documents, their main objection was related to 4 wheel down towing, especially with automatic....................that was definitely a no no.........the car was getting long in the tooth so we replaced it with a kia soul.........a really great vehicle to tow.............but if my wife decided to get another mini, i wouldn't hesitate dolly towing it.....................

If she wants a Coupe or Roastster (no longer in production, so maybe not an issue) flat-tow may be your best (only) method to pull it. Most dollies will tear up the lower section of the plastics unless you can move the ramps out of the way. On another thread someone with a Coupe was converting from dolly to flat because of this.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
Dom

Quote:
Is you Soul a manual or automatic?
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Is you Soul a manual or automatic?
Soul is an automatic......easy to dolly tow
Old 06-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
If she wants a Coupe or Roastster (no longer in production, so maybe not an issue) flat-tow may be your best (only) method to pull it. Most dollies will tear up the lower section of the plastics unless you can move the ramps out of the way. On another thread someone with a Coupe was converting from dolly to flat because of this.
I think if she decides she wants another mini, we will keep the Kia Soul as our toad......the size is comfortable and it has lots of space for hauling stuff.....
Old 07-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #12

We just set up our 2019 Mini. Blue Ox base plate, Alpha tow bar and Patriot 3 brake. Going good!
Gypsy 7932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #13

2009 Cooper S toad with Blue Ox set up - 4 wheels down for about 8 significant trips now. No issues
TriumphTR3A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #14

We just had a 2012 Cooper S Convertible, standard tranny converted to tow 4-down and our first trip of some 4000 miles went very well. Could not tell it was there. I can see where clearance on this car could be an issue if towed on a dolly.
dashgirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing