Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing my 4x4 manual Tacoma

We will be picking up our 2006 Monaco Monarch this week. The only tow vehicle I have is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. It is a 4 cylinder, 4x4 with manual transmission. Will I be able to tow this truck with a tow dolly? Do I load the front wheels on the dolly, or the rear? I can't find this info anywhere. I keep getting auto transmission articles. Thank you for any assistance.
Cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the owners manual for your pickup. If so look in for the "recreational towing", which will describe if can be towed.

I have the 2009 Motorhome towing guide and although it does list some Toyota cars there are no trucks listed, indicating that they don't recommend towing. All the passenger cars that are approved are manual transmissions.

That being said they do sell tow brackets for the Tacoma pickup here.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

so you can assume that if you can buy the bracket others are towing the truck. Since it is a manual transmission you may be able to tow provided it has a transfer case with a neutral function, that completely isolates the transmission from the axles if it is being towed.

I'm sure others will respond
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #3

Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?

Very few Toyota's can be towed 4 down.
Our Matrix is standard trans and is one the few that can be towed 4 down.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

The short answer is no, it cannot be towed on a dolly or 4-down without expensive driveline modifications.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #5

Looked up your truck's owners manual. It says absolutely not to be dingy towed either 4-down or on a tow dolly.

That said, there may be people on here that have done it anyway. Hopefully they will chime in, but I would not recommend it.

There are companies that will install driveshaft disconnect sets to allow you to tow. My guess is they are not cheap.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Here's a link to one company that supplies disconnects

Drive Shaft Coupling
Old 04-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the replies. Not what I wanted to hear though. I guess I'll be sure to bring plenty of cab fare when we travel.
Cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

I have flat towed a Tacoma 4wd\auto and now the Xterra 4wd\auto (similar drive train) with a disconnect. Not sure you can flat tow a 4wd\manual without a disconnect as the transfer case does not have a neutral position. I would call Remco and talk to them.

Remco : The Towing Experts