Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to cokeinator
Towing on a dolly.

If you are using a dolly to tow your toad does the toad need to have lights or are the dolly lights enough?
cokeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Having lights on the toad depends on the state your traveling in. Generally speaking most states require lights on the most trailing vehicle which would be the toad. If your are towing on a trailer, generally not the case, the trailer lights would suffice. Easiest way to "light" the toad is with magnetic lights which wire directly to the RV. They can be removed in a few minutes or less, this is preferred approach especially if you intend to tow more than one vehicle.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our dolly has fender lights but I do stick a pair of the magnetic lights on the trunk of the toad.

Not sure if "need" to do it (state laws or whatever) but I considered it cheap insurance in case the toad blocks the dolly light from an approaching driver. And it was easier than trying to figure out how to make the actual toad lights work while on the dolly, though others do that and say it's not difficult. Have sometimes stuck the mag lights inside on the deck by the rear window too.

Just figure you can't have too many lights with some of the distracted drivers out there.

JMHO.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #4

You might want to check with your state DMV as to the law. MI says that lights must be at the back of the towed which would mean the vehicle not the dolly. I think this question has come up before so you might want to do a search.
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you say "need" to have lights I assume you mean according to vehicle codes. Well it is a mixed bag state by state. There was a recent thread on this same topic and I looked it up for the state the op was in and the law indicated lights had to be displayed at the "rear most part of the vehicle being towed". I interpreted that to mean the rear of the car others thought the rear of the dolly. So much for consulting the law but the meaning was clear to me. Some folks like to quibble.

My opinion absent the law is that it is better to have lights on the towed vehicle working as well as the dolly. It is the very rear of the vehicle and you want people to stop there at the rear not a little long, if you know what I mean. Also without knowing each states law regarding this by having the lights on the very rear you willl surly meet or exceed every states requirements.

Incidently if you meet Texas law but Arizona or California etc; law is different there is no reciprocity and you must meet the law of the state you are traveling through.

As a practical matter I suppose it would be rare to be stopped if you had dolly ights only but that does not mean you are in compliance. ON the other hand if you get stopped for say speeding, then the light question might be raised and could be tacked on to a speeding ticket with an equipment violation, hypothetical, of course.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is some information from Texas vehicle law---see if it applies to you.

Sec. 547.322. TAILLAMPS REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle that is towed at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with at least two taillamps.
(b) A passenger car or truck that was manufactured or assembled before the model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one taillamp.
(c) Taillamps shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle:
(1) at a height from 15 to 72 inches; and
(2) at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable if a vehicle is equipped with more than one lamp.
(d) A taillamp shall emit a red light plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle.
(e) If vehicles are traveling in combination, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle are required to emit a light for the distance specified in Subsection (d).
(f) A taillamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and mounted to emit a white light that:
(1) illuminates the rear license plate; and
(2) makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.
(g) A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate a rear license plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary driving lamp is lighted.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 547.323. STOPLAMPS REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two stoplamps.
(b) A passenger car manufactured or assembled before the model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one stoplamp.
(c) A stoplamp shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.
(d) A stoplamp shall emit a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, that is:
(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and
(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is applied.
(e) If vehicles are traveling in combination, only the stoplamps on the rearmost vehicle are required to emit a light for the distance specified in Subsection (d).
(f) A stoplamp may be included as a part of another rear lamp.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, towing