Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Towing opinions

I know, everyone has an opinion.

I have a 2009 Sightseer 35J and intend to flat tow a 2003 Jetta TDI. What equipment and brake system would you recommend? I'm not wealthy, but I don't want to short change safety, either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Ready Brake.

Simple, cheap, effective and a bonus is that the Ready Brute Tow bar is one of the best and easiest to use on the market
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorjock View Post
I know, everyone has an opinion.

I have a 2009 Sightseer 35J and intend to flat tow a 2003 Jetta TDI. What equipment and brake system would you recommend? I'm not wealthy, but I don't want to short change safety, either.
Have you verified with VW that your TDI Jetta can be towed 4 down???
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Ready Brake.

Simple, cheap, effective and a bonus is that the Ready Brute Tow bar is one of the best and easiest to use on the market
Ditto
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quick estimate for "new" stuff plus install could run $800/2000. This should include the vehicle tow attachment, wiring for the car lights while towing, plus labor to do the install work on the car, a tow bar to hook to the RV, an a vehicle brake assist.
You can save if you patient and begin to look around on eBay or Amazon for used stuff. BUT you should take care that the used equipment, i.e. the vehicle tow attachment will "fit" the car. An the used the stuff is usable. Most vehicles will need to have the front bumper clip removed and the tow bracket needs to be attached to the front cross frame. A wiring "system" to go the length of the car back to front to a light plug. Some folks do all the install work themselves to save. Good luck with your choice...an happy trails!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We just went to CW and got an estimate on a Roadmaster towing system (can't remember all the model names) and it's going to be around 3K. Will check around but we may just rent a car if needed for a while! I will check into the Ready Brute a previous poster mentioned however
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
In all reality, there is NO verification on that. Volkswagen of America flat out, doesn't authorize ANY of it's entire fleet to be flat towed, based on the Dinghy Towing Guides I have on file. But, I've seen many, many late model VW Jettas and Bugs being flat towed while out on our trips. I've talked with many of the owners and none, absolutely none of them have had any issues, mechanically, flat towing their late model VW units.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Edgray - I have not verified with VW, but the owner of the VW shop I use for maintenance has the same car and flat tows all the time, Both his and mine are stick shift, and there's nothing needed for pumps.
I got an estimate at about $2K from the dealer for a tow setup, without the brakes. CW beat it by almost $200, and another RV shop quoted $1800 without brakes, and $4200 with. All Blue Ox, I think. I'll check into the Ready Brake/Ready Brute.
Thanks all.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

If you have basic mechanical skills and a few tools you can install it yourself. I have installed several baseplates and a few different braking systems. The electrical wiring for the taillights is super easy. So I would suggest you give it a shot yourself.

As far as baseplates go I like BlueOX because they give you instructions with pictures for your specific car.

For tow bars, I have used a few and think the Ready brute tow bar is the best. Uphill, downhill, at an angle, the tow bar doesn't bind when you want to unhook. With other tow bars you have videos on youtube explaining how to unhook your car in those situations when the tow bar is bound up, ready brute system eliminates this. However all tow bars do the job.

Brake system, ready brute is the easiest and cheapest. If you have a diesel I prefer the Air Force one system. Some people want simplicity in hook-up others want a cheap price. You can usually find a brake in the box system on craigslist going relatively cheaply that might work for you, the downside is taking out and installing each time you tow (it takes about 5 minutes to set up and 1 minute to remove.)

Any questions just ask.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

I had a Roadmaster tow package put on a Chevrolet Tracker by U-HAUL. It was fairly inexpensive. The Brake Buddy was expensive. Good luck
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We have ~35,000 miles on our ready brute. 15K with a Saturn Vue (4200 lbs) & 20K with a Chevy Avalanche (6000 lbs).
The only problem was one of the lock handles snapped, & NSA overnighted us a replacement.
I would recommend it.
The cable install isn't to bad if your somewhat mechanical.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Ready Brute Elite. NSA folks are good to deal with also. I installed mine and found it wasn't too bad of a job to do.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

I may have missed something, but I have yet to read any posts that have had issues towing vehicles of any kind as long as they go through through transmission preps.
Bobby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby88 View Post
I may have missed something, but I have yet to read any posts that have had issues towing vehicles of any kind as long as they go through through transmission preps.
Bobby88: Perhaps the reason you don't find many posts about ruined transmission from flat towing cars that should not be flat towed is because "most" people would only tow a car that was mechanically able to be flat towed.

There are definitely quite a few cars with automatic trannies that should not be flat towed. There is a reason the MH mags annually publish a list of those that "can". Also, REMCO makes a large selection of "lube pumps" and drive shaft disconnect parts for those that can't without aftermarket modification.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing