Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #1

Towing question

I have a 2017 motor home on an F53 26000 lb chassis. Does anyone flat tow a 1/2 ton pickup. I know it will exceed the 5000lb recommendation by a little, but has anyone done it or doing it and what is your experience doing it.
Thanks
WeRv4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

WeRv4fun-

Correction: It is a 5,000 pound rating, not a "recommendation."

Per the specs on page 2 of the Ford Body Builder Book for 2017 (link here), the GCWR on the 26,000-pound GVWR chassis is 30,000 pounds. That means that if your coach is loaded to the maximum, the chassis is rated to tow 4,000 pounds, not 5,000.

In theory, if your loaded coach weight (as confirmed on a scale) does not exceed 25,000 pounds, and other things are OK (such as axle weights compared to their ratings) you could tow 5,000 pounds. Beyond that, you likely exceed the rating for the trailer hitch.

I would not tow more than 4,000 pounds. If you look at many posts on the "Toads and MH Towing" forum (link here), you'll see that others don't share this opinion. You'll also find many threads there about towing pickups.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "1/2," "ton" and "toad" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have two tow limits. 5,000 is usually the rating of the HITCH.. Not necessarly what you can tow.

The RV has a GVW and CGVW maximum ratings and an actuall GW.
To find out how much you can safely two (And note you get another feature at the same time) find a FLAT Segmented scale.. Most CAT scales are BRIDGE scales. these are not your first coice.

Park the Motor home ONLY on the sale so each axle is on a different segment... Get it weighed. Now pull around and again park so only ONE SIDE is on the scale, as before one wheel per segment. Re-Weigh (often lower cost).

Now you have the axle weight, Total weight and wheel weight for one side. Substract side from axle to get wheel weight for other side.

The difference between GW (Total weight) and Max CGVW if less than 5,000 pounds is the most you can tow....

NOW.. about those wheel weights.
head over to tire manufactureer dot com and find the inflation chart for your tires.. Use the wheel weights to computer the proper pressure for each weel.. use a Brother P-Touch to label either the body of the RV or teh Rim of the tire (outer dual only) with the proper pressure for that corner.. I like to add 5 PSI to factory chart.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, your hitch is rated at 5klbs for a reason. The MFG of the MH has determined that with the modifications they have done to the chassis, that is the MAX safe limit it handle and still not exceed the Chassis MFG GCWR.
Basically to keep you and those of us other people on the road SAFE.
So I would recommend that you either get a lighter Toad or get a MH that can tow the heavier 1/2 ton pickup, basically a DP.
They do make pickup trucks that do not weigh over 5klbs.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you are asking if anyone has ever overloaded a hitch or chassis GCWR, I'm sure the answer is Yes. If you are asking if those who overloaded "a little" ever had any problems, the answer is less clear. Those who did it are probably bragging, and those who failed at it probably are keeping it to themselves.

So, how much of a gamble is it? I think we could agree that 5001 lbs ain't a whole lot different than 4999. And I think we could say that you may be OK exceeding the rating "a little" as long as conditions are good, e.g. smooth roads, no sharp turns at speed, no emergency swerves, etc. But at some point and in some conditions, it's gonna fail. So, how much of a gambler are you?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRv4fun View Post
I have a 2017 motor home on an F53 26000 lb chassis. Does anyone flat tow a 1/2 ton pickup. I know it will exceed the 5000lb recommendation by a little, but has anyone done it or doing it and what is your experience doing it.
Thanks
We have a similar RV and while we do not tow a 1/2 ton pick-up, we have towed a loaded 5,000 trailer.
It works, but please be aware that it is not going to be a quick ride.

Specific to your RV listed in the registry...2017 Newmar Canyon Star 3710, Newmar says:
*GVWR/26000 lb.
*GCWR/30000 lb.
*UVW/20594 lb.
*Hitch rating flat/5000 lb.

So technically, towing a vehicle that weighs about 5,000lb will work with nothing more than keeping your RV's loaded weight total under 25,000lb. (this is people, gear, water, gas, LP, and everything else you put inside your RV).

And, if you do this...PLEASE get supplemental brakes on the toad, with a brake-away device. It is not required in about 27 states, but just smart and obviously safer.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing