Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Towing questions

Hi you all. I really new to this RV'n thing so if i could I'd like a few suggestions when it comes to towing my car behind my motor home.
I have a 2008 Damon Astoria diesel pusher, and I'd like to pull my wife's 2008 Nissan Maxima. Any help or suggestions on how to attack the towing problem. As of yet I have not purchased any type of towing device so if you have any do's or don'ts please advise.
Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Joe & Barb

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/

Start here for 4 down towing info.

Looks like the Maxima is not towable except on a dolly. I am sure some dolly experienced people will show up here.

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

I guess I'd better check to maxima owners manual to see if it is even towable without a dolly. I've heard that backing a dolly is pretty difficult if not impossible. I guess i want to tow with a tow bar so another vehicle may be needed.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBEKE View Post
I guess I'd better check to maxima owners manual to see if it is even towable without a dolly. I've heard that backing a dolly is pretty difficult if not impossible. I guess i want to tow with a tow bar so another vehicle may be needed.
Joe, I checked RoadMasterINC.com and your Maxima is not 4 down towable. Check section 5 of your car manual for towing to see if a dolly would be usable. As to backing up, even 4 down towables are not advisable to back up with, and if you do it should be straight and not too far. If you want to back up your Towed look for a light weight alum. trailer. But be aware of your rv's tow weight rating. There are plenty of 4 down towables, but always check the vehicle manual before you take any ones word
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBEKE View Post
It doesn't matter if it's on a dolly or not. Backing up 4 flat is difficult also and you actually should not do it. The advantage of 4 flat is it is usually easier to disconnect and get it going faster and you don't have to worry about if you have enough space to stow a dolly.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You can replace the Maxima with a 4-down capable toad or buy a dolly. We were faced with the same situation and decided it was way cheaper to buy a dolly than trade in a year old vehicle.

If you go with the dolly, you need to do a lot of research here in this forum. You can find dollies new from $1100 to $3000.

Here are some of the things you need to consider.

Does your Maxima lock the steering wheel when the vehicle is off? All dollies have to turn somehow to allow the toad to follow the motor home. Some have wheels that turn, others have a pivoting pan and some use the toad steering system to turn. This is probably the first thing you want to consider when choosing a dolly.

What kind of brakes do you want? You can choose electric brakes or surge brakes. In my opinion, electric brake are best because they are positively activated by the motor home brakes, but unless you have a controller installed or your coach is pre-wired for a controller, this can be a hassle. Surge brakes use the slowing momentum of the coach to apply brakes on the dolly. There are some some slight drawbacks to this kind of brake, but overall they are simple and effective. No additional wiring is required for surge brakes.

You also want to do some research on a brake-away system and tie-down safety chains. Some states require one or the other and some states don't require eihter, but they will make towing much safer.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #7

Most new cars no longer have locking steering wheels and even if they do you can have it disabled. I've never liked locked them as I think the are unsafe. So I'd go with the simpler dolly like the Acme EZtow and disable the lock if you have one.

If you don't want to disable the steering wheel lock and you have a car that has a imobleizer chip in the key get a non chipped key made. That way you can unlock the steering wheel but the car won't start.

As far as brakes, the biggest issue with surge brakes is when going down hill where they tend to stay on more and could overheat. The problems with electric brakes is that on a dolly they tend to always be drums and if they get wet tend to fade. I'd tend to lean toward surge brakes.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trade it in for a good toad.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing