Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3.2 ways to tow

4 down: this is the simplist from several standpoints.. With 4 down towing you either need a car (Car or truck) that can be towed 4 down.. This includes MOST Stick shifts (not all) and some automatics.. OR.. You need to modify the vehicle (RemcoTowing sells modification kits), WIth a bit of practice hook up takes only a couple of minutes, Nothing is simpler,. you need not be "Exact" on your approach to the motor home with the car with most modern tow systems.

You do need brakes on the towed.. There are basically 3 kinds of systems.
"Installed" systems. like the US-Gear Unified Brake system, or M&G air brake.. These take like seconds to "hook up" (As few as zero) and remain in the car full time. they are hidden from view.

2: "Brake in a box" systems like Even Brake, Brake Buddy.. These need to be installed EVERY TIME you tow.. That takes time, just a few minutes but on a short trip there is a temptation to not put 'em in (And sometimes sorrow later) plus you have to stow them when not towing.. They can be easily moved car to car however.. But frankly I do NOT recommend them.

Ready Brake.. I like this one too... Very simple. it is a special tow bar system. when you stand on the brakes on the mh and the car pushes against it the hitch pulls on a cable that pulls the pedal applying vehicle brakes.

Next towing system is 2-down, a dolly.. With a dolly you add considerable weight (around 1,000 pounds) to the weight of the towed This comes off your towing and cargo capacities. It is much harder to secure the car to the tow dolly, and you have to be far more "Accurate" on the approach.

Next is the .1/.2 A full trailer

.1 is an open trailer.. The major advantage here is the car is fully cargo. it does not even need a license plate. Plus you get "Full braking" back (Cause the trailer has brakes on it) I like full braking

.2 is an enclosed traielr, basically a rolling garage.. From the car's viewpoint.. This is best It is also the hardest to use and of course the heaviest.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by ronswank View Post
I appreciate everyone's good input. After going to look at a tow dolly closely, I realized all the hooking and unhooking, etc reminded me of why i upgraded to a class A from a travel trailer. Looks like I will go with 4 down and buy a car that will tow that way. Anyone had experience with the ReadyBrake? I like the way it is made and the way it functions. thanks
Just recently finished installing Ready Brake on a Chevy HHR. Once everything is installed it's a piece of cake to hook-up and unhook. I did a lot of research before deciding on this set-up and very happy with it. Like any major project, it took more time than I expected (but I did get to buy some new tools ). I had priced some local dealers and was looking at roughly $2,000+ for a tow-bar, baseplates and lighting - this did not include a braking system. Ultimately I found entire "towing system" from a single source and got everything for $1850 and did all the install myself. This was Blue Ox Baseplates, Blue Ox 4-diode wiring kit & 7-to-6 pin cable, drop hitch, Ready-Brake tow-bar/braking system with in-dash indicator light and the Ready-Stop breakaway system.

2007 Four Winds/Thor Hurricane 34B w/ 2006 Chevy HHR TOAD
2008 Gulf Breeze 23TRS & 2004 Ford Expedition
dkhender is offline   Reply With Quote