Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Towing six wheels down

Can someone tell me if it is possible to tow my 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 (dually) six wheels down without damage to the the truck? If so what equipment do I need for the truck?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #2

Automatic, manual, 2wd, 4wd and so on?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I am pretty sure you can as long as it is 4 wheel drive and you can put the transfer case in neutral using the 4 wheel drive button or manual shifter. I would check your owners manual to confirm. I am not sure you can flat tow a 2 wheel drive. The other concern I would have though is tow weight as that truck probably weighs in at 8700 lbs or or so by itself.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Maybe.

Check your owners manual.

GM owners manuals have excellent instructions for towing 4 down if possible.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post
Can someone tell me if it is possible to tow my 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 (dually) six wheels down without damage to the the truck? If so what equipment do I need for the truck?
If it is a 4x4 and you can put the transfer in neutral yes. 2 wheel drive's are not.
I am setting up my 07 Classic 2500HD, so far this is my laundry list of parts. The tow bar and base plate are Blue Ox, but it is a personal preference on which one you buy.
1 - Blue Ox Aventa LX 10K tow bar
2 - Blue Ox BX1660 Base Plate (Also fits the 3500HD)
3 - Blue Ox Accessory kit - Has a tow bar cover, 6 pin cable, tow hitch lock, and tow bar locks, and 2 light kits (1 diode Kit and 1 bulb kit), and a 6 pin connectors for the truck and 1 for the RV. I used the bulb kit, not the diodes. For some reason Blue Ox has the Bulb kit, Roadmaster does not have a bulb kit for the GM trucks (Diodes only), not sure why, I always thought they came from 1 Chinese factory, there must be 2.
4 - EvenBrake - picked mine up used so I could save a few bucks. The braking options are plentiful, there are some only rated for 7.5K, I steered away from them as that is close to what the truck weighs, and I may want to throw something in the bed of the truck.
I bought all the Blue Ox stuff new, could not find used one for a decent price nearby, most of the ones I ran across were within $100 of a new one.
If you have any questions about the install, you can post or send me a PM.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the information. My truck is a four wheel drive crew cab automatic, and the transfer case can be placed in the neutral position. I will be towing the truck with a Dynamax Grand Sport (40,000# towing capacity).

Thanks "Usual" for the equipment list. My idea is to carry my golf cart in the truck bed for my trips "south".
Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

The MH can tow 40k lbs?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The MH can tow 40k lbs?
I saw that and thought that was high, did a Google search. The Dynamax has a 40K hitch upgrade available. Not sure I would tow that much, but I would image someone has asked for it more than once or it would not be an option.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Dynamax is a Super C built on a real truck chassis so pulling 40K is child's play. It most likely won't even know the 3500 is back there.

Tags
towing