Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Towing suggestions welcome!

Just purchased a 98 Jeep Wrangler SE as a towable. It's a 4 cyl, with automatic transmission & 4WD. Stock vehicle as far as bumper and undercarriage (no big wheels or lift kit...yet). I want to use it as a toad and would appreciate suggestions on tow bars and braking systems. Don't want to break the bank, want something easy to use, and realize I am no mechanic; so most likely won't be installing it or wiring anything.

I drive a Class C that should tow this little guy with no problem. I have access to a Camping World in Nashville that could do the install.

Idea system would be hook the brackets, attach the hitch, plug a cable, and shift the tranny.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Fltsurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Towing a Jeep is great, I have a Blue OX docking plate on my 4 door Wrangler with a Camping World Tow Bar. Easy to connect and disconnect. However I need to connect a braking system. ( google tow vehicles braking ) you will notice most states require a braking and break-away system for toads over 300 pounds.
2junebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a Roadmaster all-terrain hitch, had Camping World install the base kit on my 2011 Jeep Liberty, 4X4 auto trans. Purchased the Insta brake system on the jeep and a battery disconnect on the jeep also had Camping World install both. It cost, but now I can hookup my Jeep by myself in about 5 minutes.
Hammer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Also check the manual for towing. On my jeep 4x4 I put the transfer in netural, transmission in park, thun the key to on position and disconnect the battery, as far as the rear lights you can run the wires from the front plug to the rear lights, remove the light housing, drill and place an extra blub in the housing. It kinda like wiring a trailer with lights.
2junebugs is offline   Reply With Quote