Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing System

Hello All

I must be doing something right because the DW went out yesterday and traded her Cadillac Eldorado fr a 2007 Ford Edge. She said that she wanted us to have something to tow along behind the motorhome. Curb weight of the Edge 4078 lb.

Now I need your help on deciding on a tow set up. I have been looking at the Blue Ox baseplate and the Aladdin Tow Bar. I assume these will serve the purpose. What are your thoughts?

When it comes to a braking system for the toad, I am totally confused. I have searched the forum and this is where the confusion comes in.
Should I look into surge brake or electric brake? I do not have air brakes if that helps. I want something with ease of installation and reliable, sets up quickly etc.

I appreciate all opinions negative or positive.

Thank You in Advance
Ed

smokey5209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely do not get surge brakes! You want the toad to start breaking before the mh "feels the weight" from the momentum to activate the brakes. Because you don't have onboard air you will be limited to electric. There are several good systems out there (blue ox, smi, etc). Make sure your system is powered off the mh and the only power from the toad will be from the break (not brake) away.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ed,
I use the USGEAR braking system. Read about it at U.S. Gear RV Performance Products. There is a single connector for hooking up the toad to the coach. After 5 years, it has worked as advertised. I would make the same purchase again.

For my own peace of mind, I use a trickle charger to keep the toad battery charged when traveling down the road. There is one connector to plug in when hooking up the toad. Information on the charger I use is at athttp://www.lslproducts.com/. After two years of use, the product has works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #4

We have & like the US Gear system -- once installed it is a very easy connect/disconnect and is adjustable from the MH.

The only downside is the cost to set-up the toad -- especially if you plan on changing toads often.

We have towed our Honda Element over 45,000 miles and had the system on our last rig and moved it to our current rig.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure the Edge can be towed 4 down? Motorhome 2007 guide to dingy towing doesn't list it. Or maybe it's a 2009 model which can be.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to the owners manual it can be towed four down if it is AWD by placing the shifter in N, and ignition in the ACC position.

Ed
smokey5209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I personally like the Aventa tow bar better because it is good for 10,000# not 5,000#. It costs less and the fact that it weighs more is unimportant because it stays on the MH. You only lift it once; while you're traveling it never comes off. I also like the Brake Buddy because it is simple (like me).
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I must be related to Cousin Ed because that is the system I use. Traded tow vehicles last August so it was nice to have a braking system that I could easily move.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready Brake and Ready Brute tow bar. Surge brakes? No worries. We used them for 10's of thousands of miles. They work and they work when needed. No fancy electronics or boxes. It couldn't get any easier than this.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm towing a 2009 Lincoln MKX, big brother to the Edge, and it tows great!!! I am using the Even Brake and so far so good, I haven't had any problems and everything seems to work great. I've used Roadmaster tow bars for years and find them to work just fine; no problems. I've also talked to several other motor homers who are towing the Edge or Lincoln and they all say the same thing; it's a great tow!!! How easy can it get; hook it up, put it in neutral, and away you go. No fuses, no battery draining, none of those problems!!! Just make sure you buy an AWD and not a 4WD!! I just reread your thread and need to clarify that you don't need the ignition in ACC. I just put the keys in, start the engine, put it in neutral, shut the engine off and its ready to tow. The only reason you have the keys in and in neutral is to release the steering wheel lock.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #11

Smile

We bought the Ready Brake system and Blue Ox baseplates with removeable adapters. After 3200 miles of travels (Wa. to Ca.) I am totally satisfied.
While making the cable adjustment I rode in the toad to verify how it was working during heavy braking and with just the exhaust brake. I have checked toad brake heat many times during those initial miles and have not had any problems. So far it works as advertised. Surge brakes can be a pain on a trailer if you need to back up a grade, but in this application I like the simplicity ('KISS' principle).
Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Are you sure the Edge can be towed 4 down? Motorhome 2007 guide to dingy towing doesn't list it. Or maybe it's a 2009 model which can be.

yes model year 2007 and up
4 down tow, key in acc.

i would check the 4k curb weight, ours weighs 3600 plus or minus
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will the Alladlin tow 4,000 pounds.... Easily

Will the Adeventa II (1/2 the capacity of the Alladin) tow 4000 pounds... Easily

So to answer your question: Yes, No problem there at all

Do get a good aux-brake system.. In another thread I posted my 3 favorites in order

1: US-Gear Unified brake Decelerator... Simply the best
2: M&G (if it fits epically if your tow vehicle has air brakes)
3: Air Force One (if the M&G don't fit and your tow vehilce has air brakes)

Another contender for the #1 spot is the other system US-Gear has (Stay & Play?) I've not read enough about it to be sure.

What I do not recommend: Any system which you have to install every time you tow like Brake Buddy or Even Brake or.. Well any of the box pedal pushers.

Too easy to say "Oh, I'm not goign that far, Forget it" followed shortly by OH !!!!!!!! and wishing you'd put it in... I have spoken to folks who have that system and though they did not (yet) get to OH !!!!!!... they did admit to leaving it out on short tows.

The US gear systems you hook up one plug, or flip one switch, takes longer to type "I'm only going a short distance" than it does to hook 'em up (And I type fast)

M&G it's one air hose

Air Force, one air hose and one piston (ok, it's a pedal pusher)

That one typing is faster
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ed,

Second US Gear