Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

towing the 2012/2013 FWD Ford Edge - battery issue?

There was some comments regarding dead battery problems after towing the above. Has anyone gotten a professional answer from Ford or its reps with corrective action needed to correct this if there is such a problem??
jhrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd just connect the chassis battery of the RV with the towed's battery. I do it with an unused pin in my six pin connector. A couple of 12v 30 amp auto resetting circuit breakers keeps things from shorting out. The RV alternator can handle the small draw of the towed, no need for battery tenders or Toad Charge for $109.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrobinson View Post
There was some comments regarding dead battery problems after towing the above. Has anyone gotten a professional answer from Ford or its reps with corrective action needed to correct this if there is such a problem??
I tow a 2010 Taurus with a Blue Ox Patriot. Used to have dead battery issues untill I figured out to leave the ignition OFF as opposed to the AUX position per the manual. Only reason to leave the AUX on is to record milage. Leave it off and the battery will last for at least 6-7 hours. Normal day for me is 3-4 hours so now I don't have dead battery problems.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
towing the 2012/2013 FWD Ford Edge

I have a 2011, and had many dead batteries after towing. Ford was of no help. Now I have a toad charger, and no more problems. Easy to instal and can see if charge is working. Love the Edge, very happy now with it. http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #5

Smile Ford Solution to dead battery problem on 2012/13 Ford Edges

After suffering 3 dead batteries in as many trips with my new Ford Edge, I was in communication with both the dealer I purchased the vehicle from as well as Ford Motor Company. The primary problem is that you must keep the the ignition in "accessory on" position when towing. After running current drain tests on the car, it was determined that the standard drain was in the neighborhood of 6 amps per hour. Enough to drain the battery in less than 8 hours. If you should leave the toad vehicle connected overnight to your Motor Home, your battery is totally dead and even the computers in the car must be reset. Mine would not even recognize my keyless system stating "key not recognized" The primary reason to keep the accessory on is twofold. First you unlock the steering. Second, is to disenguage the drive train from the wheels. I am told that beginning in 2012, Ford changed their electronics to require power to disenguage the drive train. Earlier Edges required power to engage the drive train. The net result is a much higher drain on the battery when it is used as a toad vehicle. Ford Motor authorized the dealer to install the "toad charger system" in my Edge as the solution to the problem. This was done under warranty and at no cost to me.
rhilgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
picked up power from the 7 pin plug it would be the same charge line for a travel trailer to the battery of the 2012 edge thru the 6 wire umbilical cord dead battery was never an issue
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford agreed to do the same for my Ford Edge that rhilgeman described.

I spoke with my dealer's service manager about the issue and I emailed him some various forum posts about the problem and Ford stepping up to "fix" the issue. He guided me through the process of contacting Ford customer service to file a complaint. The next day after I spoke with customer service, the regional customer service manager called to tell me Ford would cover the cost of the Toad Charger, or similar device to be installed on the motorhome and Edge.
Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing, battery