Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Towing the 2012 Ford Escape (automatic)

I have a 2012 Ford Escape (automatic) that I have towed "4 down" for over 20,000 miles per the instructions in the owner's manual. The transmission ( type "6F35") failed and the vehicle is now in the shop to have the transmission replaced (under warranty). Ford Motor Co. now says you cannot tow 4 down unless you have a transmission cooler and pump.
morris44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think it's been discussed (and cussed) here on the forum several times.

Ford may try to sell you a pump for about $3,000 (it's then covered under warranty) or you can get one for less than $1,000 direct from Remco but no one will warrant the transmission after that. Going from memory here so I could be wrong too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
It only gets worse, my car went into the shop Oct 21 and still no transmission. The latest date estimated by Ford was Jan 13, which has now came and gone.
morris44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #4

you got screwed on that one.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris44 View Post
I have a 2012 Ford Escape (automatic) that I have towed "4 down" for over 20,000 miles per the instructions in the owner's manual. The transmission ( type "6F35") failed and the vehicle is now in the shop to have the transmission replaced (under warranty). Ford Motor Co. now says you cannot tow 4 down unless you have a transmission cooler and pump.
BUT . . . if your Escape was manufactured before Ford changed their mind, you can tow 4-down, and they must honor the warranty. Might not be worth all of the drama, though.

Our 2012 Escape was made before the cutoff, February 2012, but we had a REMCO pump put on it when we bought it new in June 2012. Just trying to avoid the drama.

Also, be aware there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) from Ford that explains how a small amount of transmission fluid should be removed. My Ford Dealer knew nothing about it, I had to do the research and show them. This TSB applies with or without the REMCO pump.

Good luck, hope it all works out.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #6

If you put the remco /ford lube system on you actually will have to add oil till the oil is in the middle of the dip stick as per the instructions. You can not buy the pump from remco direct. Ford has the rights to it
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing