Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #15

I have the vantage which was based on what my friends had and I thought the on the fly feature would be nice. In reality after it was set up I have never had the need to re-adjust but I stay pretty local. As with all systems do a little looking around, get educated on whats available, think about it and how you are going to use it and make a choice. I picked the Brake Buddy system based on people I know and trust and the ability of that type to move from vehicle to vehicle. I am happy with the system and have no regrets with it. IMHO the only thing to be aware of is to install the dedicated power outlet as the factory outlet in the Colorado has a very small wire powering it and stuggles with the flow needed.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #16

GMC Sierra

I tow a 2011 GMC Sierra 4X4 behind my Monaco Dynasty.

With the Unified braking system everything is permanently installed in the truck.

All I have to do is connect the Black Hawk 2 and cables, put the transfer case into neutral, put the shift lever into park and remove the key. As previously posted, the steering wheel will not lock when the transfer case is in neutral and you don't have to remove any fuses.

The control in the coach shows me when the brake is active in the truck and with led lights indicates how much braking is being applied. It works with the exhaust and transmission braking as well.

Compared to my previous system that did not have a vacuum pump, I get much more "seat of the pants" feedback when I brake. I can feel it. Did not get this with my HHR and the non-vacuum system.

Very pleased with the setup and the ease of hooking up as well as the reverse. This system is a little more expensive but I think it is worth it when I compare it to my previous experience with the Road-master.

Chuck
Lemon Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #17
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have been towing our '05 Colorado Crew for over 50,000 miles without a problem. To tow ours, I attach it to the MH in park with the engine off, then start it; shift to neutral; hold the 2HI and 4Low together. In ten seconds it shifts the transfer case to neutral. You then shift to drive and reverse to insure the Trans Case is in neutral. I then turn the HVAC to off and turn off the engine, then shift to park. We use a Brake Buddy which I set up after the truck is ready to roll.
We have more than 85,000 driving miles on the truck and its second set of tires are still good! It's a nice little truck.

Same procedure for my H3 Hummer which is nothing other than a Chevy Colorado. To prevent the bann as mentioned from another poster I push the 4wd button with the ignition on but not started. I can hear it engage the transmission and then I start it normally. The H3 tows great but it is a bit heavy at 5K lbs.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #18

I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado that I tow. Follow the book regarding placing it in neutral. Leave the key in the OFF position and you can even take it out and place it in the motor home for security. The steering wheel doesn't lock and the battery does not go dead. It doesn't explain this in the book but I finally went to Chevy dealer and they explained about not putting the key in accessory mode.

I did have one problem early on regarding the wiring loom which is run under the battery. The battery acid eroded the insulation and caused a short where I couldn't move from towing mode to driving mode. They rerouted the cable and no problems since then.
double-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
FES

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing Chevrolet Colorado

I am towing a 2011 Colorado.
I've discovered that removing the key after turning the ignition off, will lock the steering. This what the owners manual says to do after putting the transfer case into neutral.
I have found out if you do not remove the key from the ignition, in the off position, the steering will not lock.
I have towed the Colorado on three trips, with no problem and I am very happy with how it tows.
FES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
FES

Winnebago Owners Club
I've contacted GM about this issue and they concur that the owners manual is wrong, and are going to make changes to the manual.
Note, that to keep the steering from locking, you have to have had the key on to at least the Acc. position. Turn the key off, but do not remove it. If you you remove the key you will hear a click indicating the steering is locked.
FES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just came back from an 800 mile trip towing our 2011 Colorado. Towed great. Never left the key in the ignition, wheel never locked. I tried to get the wheel to lock after reading earlier post, would not lock. Will have to check further on that.

Glenn

Tags
towing