Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #1

Towing the Chevy Colorado

Anyone tow a Colorado or simular? We are purchasing a 2006 Gulfstream G7 41' with 400 hp Cummins and I would like to tow my truck, a 2007 Colorado 4 x 4 Crew Cab, truck book points that this is certainly doable. Book says to place gear shift in Park, hook to tow bar then press the Neutral botton of transmission selection (2-N-4).

All this sounds easy enough, however I am used to towing a '85 Jeep CJ7 which is manual transmission so collecting advice. I have read elsewhere on forum about pulling a fuse so mileage will not be recorded, is that correct and which fuse would it be on this Chevy. Can one leave ignition off when towing an automatic such as my Colorado?

Advice and warnings appreciated.

b

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't need to pull a fuse unless your owner manual says so. While each vehicle can differ, pulling the fuse generally has nothing to do with recording mileage - it is to keep the battery from going dead while towing. Vehicles with an electronic odometer (just about all of them in the last 15+ years don't record mileage unless the ignition is on. Key in Accessory (not On) does not activate it.

If your Colorado manual says nothing about turning the key to Accessory, don't do that either. That is necessary only if the truck has a steering wheel lock and it may not have one.

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

Thanks for info Gary. Is there really any issues about towing a 4x4 that I should be concerned with other than more miles on tires than from actual driving? At least that was my main concern when I towed my Jeep hunting and such.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
None that I can think of. Just make sure that transfer case is in neutral!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

BTT

Wow....no one towing a Chevy 4x4? I'll follow manuals instructions and hope for best.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just bought 2011 Colorado to tow, but haven't set it up yet. In reading the instructions I didn't see anything about a fuse. It is towed with the auto tran in park and transfer case in neutral. I don't remember what it said about the the ignition and I'm 1700 miles away from it right now, so can't check on that.

Glenn
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #7

Missed your post Buck. They tow great I have a 07 extented cab and two of my buddies have crews. As you said a simple shift of transfer case - steering wheel does not lock so no need to keep key in vehicle - no fuses to pull or other issues. Follow steps in manual but be aware you do get a bang going back into gear - nature of the beast I guess
Only thing our group noticed was the stock acc. outlet in cab sometimes had a issue with the power demands of Brake Buddy auxillary brake systems. We have all installed the battery direct kit that was provided free of charge with a phone call to brake buddy and the issue went away.

I used Blue Ox base plate. Mounted all the conectors behind the front plate and remove the plate holder by pulling the two push pins and put plate in windshield when on the road. This gives better clearance for the pins and protects the connector and break-away for me when not in use.

I wired seperate bulbs into the rear taillights. Installed Base plate and wiring myself. Any questions?
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #8

We have been towing our '05 Colorado Crew for over 50,000 miles without a problem. To tow ours, I attach it to the MH in park with the engine off, then start it; shift to neutral; hold the 2HI and 4Low together. In ten seconds it shifts the transfer case to neutral. You then shift to drive and reverse to insure the Trans Case is in neutral. I then turn the HVAC to off and turn off the engine, then shift to park. We use a Brake Buddy which I set up after the truck is ready to roll.
We have more than 85,000 driving miles on the truck and its second set of tires are still good! It's a nice little truck.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #9

towing a 2005 Colorado 4x4

I purchased an 05 4X4 in December and tow it behind my 1999 Itasca Sunflyer DP. As stated earlier you put the transaxle in N and place the gear selector in Park to tow. The steering wheel does not lock on the 2005 so I remove the keys from the vehicle when towing. I have the Blue Ox tow bar and use the Ready Brake surge braking system. I think it works great and it's simple. website Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products

How does the ReadyBrake work?

Below is an animation to show how the ReadyBrake System works
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #10

Thanks for replies. I had not planned the auxillary brake system, maybe I should. Dealer is installing a Roadmaster Sterling Tow system and probably only ordered the four wire system. With addition of braking system I assume I might need extra wiring????

Glad to know it tows well, had second set of tires mounted today (at just under 70K). Nice vehicle.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #11

The brake buddy is self contained and only needs a cigarette type outlet in the toad.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
The brake buddy is self contained and only needs a cigarette type outlet in the toad.
Pardon my ignorance, but what activates this device.

Thanks, b
Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #13

Has an internal accelerometer that works a air ram attached to the brake pedal. It is powered by a air compresser that is also internal and gets its power off the cigarette plug. It also has a break-away wire that actives the brakes in the event the toad becomes unattached or the hitch fails. Some units have a wireless controller to allow you adjust mode and sensitvity on the fly from the coach.
BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
Has an internal accelerometer that works a air ram attached to the brake pedal. It is powered by a air compresser that is also internal and gets its power off the cigarette plug. It also has a break-away wire that actives the brakes in the event the toad becomes unattached or the hitch fails. Some units have a wireless controller to allow you adjust mode and sensitvity on the fly from the coach.
BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Thanks Nutmeg, I went to their website after I posted the question. Looks like a needed component in towing the Colorado, you feel the Classic model would be sufficient?

I have printed out installation but not read it yet, is installation related to MH brake pedal simple? This unit also require cig plug?

b

Tags
towing