Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwin66 View Post
We enjoy towing our Fiat on an ACME tow dolly. Never know it is back there.
You must have an auto? Why would someone hassle with a dolly when the manual is factory authorized to tow 4 down and does so beautifully. Agreed, never know its back there and that makes a TPMS required equipment in my book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Try a manual trans Ford Focus after 2012. No steering wheel lock, just put in neutral, release brake and pull.
Focus weighs 600-700 lbs more than a Fiat . Besides, that's how the manual Fiat works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try throwing @ couple sets of golf clubs in one of those. When I ordered my 2012 Focus in 2011, this car wasn't a known commodity. We average 32 mpg every week, and you can put 800 miles a day comfortably. I'm sure the Fiat is a great toad, I just wouldn't want it to be my only car.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #17
VP

Davdeb1 - No way with the rear seats up but folded down, two sets of golf clubs fit just fine . In one day 800 miles in any vehicle would be a challenge! However unlike the Mini, Spark and Smart cars (until I drove it and was sorely disappointed by the Fit's gutless performance & too short driver's leg room, that was my number one choice), when you're driving the Fiat it doesn't feel like an ultra small car from the inside. The Pop is surprisingly smooth, quiet and spacious in the front two seats. The fact that it has two rear seats which can be used in a pinch, is a plus. Before purchasing the Fiat I would have said it could never become my primary vehicle. I purchased it brand new on December 31 specifically to be a TOAD for an amazing $13,000 out-the-door including TT&L. It still gets lots of comments like "Wow that's a small car" and it is! I am fully aware that against a Hummer or Suburban I would lose. However, that's true about nearly any small car including your Focus. After 11 months and with 40+ miles per gallon I find that the Fiat 500 Pop has satisfied my needs 95% of the time. The fact that it makes an almost perfect TOAD for two people, is a huge plus. Now if I could just find a way to make it off road capable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	79141  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Believe me, I'm all for the car. I like the looks and features. I ordered ours for 20k, power sunroof, sport package, special wheels, winter package, full power, sat radio, lots of other stuff. The ride is phenomenal and it fits 3 grandchildren and all their camping gear when we pick them up. Being fulltime we only have the one car, so the size is more suited to us.
My wife loves the Fiat, but its just not practical for our only car. We average around town week after week 32mpg, that's mostly city streets and back roads.
I'm glad you're happy with the Fiat, it's a nice little car.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #19

Having lots of choices is a good thing. Another car worth looking at is the Hundai Veloster. It comes with a six speed manual transmission, no restrictions on towing, lots of room (for a small car), good ride and great gas mileage.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford CMax is also flat towable and gets great MPG's.
As far as the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, I have just completed a cross country trip towing one and if it weren't for having to hook and unhook it daily I would have forgotten it was back there. Yes it's an automatic, and is real easy to place in the Flat towable mode. No you don't have to leave a key in it while being towed. As stated before if you don't get a Trailhawk you have to get the Active Drive II system.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #21

Fiat for towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP View Post
Fiat makes an awesome TOAD! Manual transmission + no steering wheel lock + low weight + fully manufacturer approved to flat 4 tow w/ ignition switch OFF + low purchase price = effortless tow.Attachment 79082
I bought the 500c Abrath. Convertible. Good for 2 people put could put 4 in. Really don't want to purchase a brake system. Very small and light car. What are your thoughts. I have heard of too many problems with braking systems. Will purchase a gasser.
bbprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #22

Have you read "The Physics of Towed Vehicle Braking?" It's the third thread on this forum. I tow a Fiat 500 and I use a brake system. You may want give some serious thought before going without one.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #23

Thanks for your input. I agree. What breaking system, tow bar and face are you using? I have a gasser. Ben
Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #24

Thanks and now I agree. What braking systems do you use? Also tow bar and base plates. Thanks, Ben
Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #25

I'm using the ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system and I'm very happy with it. However it was a difficult installation because of the way the Fiat is built. Here's a link where I discussed this with another Fiat owner recently.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/anybo...at-223025.html
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing fiat 500

Thanks for the information and opinions on owing and towing a Fiat 500. I have now purchased Fiat 500 ( POP). Having problems with finding someone to install the baseplate. Maybe I should have looked into this before purchasing the Fiat. Seems to be a big job, talking to garages . I have got all that I need from blue ox towing on its way when I tell them to ship.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked at the installation instructions, BlueOx does a fairly good job at providing detailed instructions.

I installed the Blueox base plate on my 2005 Jeep myself, I'd never had done anything like this before but after looking at the instructions I decided to give it a whirl. Especially after getting a quote from a local RV shop which was insanely expensive.

You basically have to take off the entire front end pieces but the way vehicles are made with fast clips and fasteners. Once the front is exposed my unit slipped into place and I had to drill a number of holes to mount, again not hard. It took me a day to install. I also installed the individual light sockets & lights in my tail light. I ran a separate wiring harness underneath. I use a Brakemaster brake with breakaway for supplemental breaking, again not hard to install.

Possibly if you printed off the instructions and became familiar you could then discuss with shops showing what is involved.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
The installation instructions is here:

http://blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/BX2801.pdf

They don't look too difficult. I did it on my '00 VW Beetle, which required the removal of the 'front clip' including inner and outer front fenders. The required tools for your install aren't beyond most RVer's tool boxes. If you do it, you'll know more about your car and know it was done with personal attention to details. Go for it! Blue Ox does have a list for installation dealers:

Blue Ox Products

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing