Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #1

Had our first chance to tow the PT 4 down the other day. I put the key in the aux position, but after a few 90 degree turns to get out of a parking lot, the steering column locked.

Changed the position of the key to run and had no further problems.

For those with a manual tranny PT cruiser, what is the correct way to tow.

Thanks,

Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #2

Had our first chance to tow the PT 4 down the other day. I put the key in the aux position, but after a few 90 degree turns to get out of a parking lot, the steering column locked.

Changed the position of the key to run and had no further problems.

For those with a manual tranny PT cruiser, what is the correct way to tow.

Thanks,

Old 11-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We pull the car up behind the MH and turn the key back from the "on, run" position just one click. This turns the engine off but leaves the wheel unlocked. If you are turning the key to the run position the idiot lights on the dash should be on.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
We tow a 2003 PT Cruiser with a manual transmission. I put the key in the "Off" position. That is one step before the idiot lights come on. Maybe that is the "on" position that was mentioned. Leave the transmission in neutral and make sure that the parking brake is off (duh). I've towed mine almost 40,000 miles including a trip to Alaska from northern Ohio, and it tows very well. I have a Brake Buddy for auxilliary braking.

Be careful about gravel protection. On the Alaska trip, I had a gravel shield in front of the car and a cover over the windshield. I also have a gravel protector that runs across the underside of the motorhome behind the rear wheels. I found that the car kicked up gravel off of the front wheels and nicked the paint around the back doors on both sides. The solution appears to be to put mud flaps on behind the front wheels on the Cruiser or to apply the 3M protective plastic film, but that is pretty expensive.

I also have alot of gravel nicks below the front bumper on the plastic front. The Roadmaster shield doesn't go that low. A possible solution is to use the horizontal gravel shield that goes below the tow bar. I don't know the name of it. An RV dealer would know, or someone else on the net may know.

Other than that, the PT Cruiser makes a great tow car. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The horizontal shield is either "Protect-a-Tow" http://protectatow.tripod.com/ or the one built by Blue Ox, http://www.blueox.us/Accessories/rvunderskirt.htm .
We went with the Protect-a-Tow, they both are pretty much the same IMO.

It protects the car very well, and is low enough to protect our intercooler also.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the inputs, now for another question. Blue Ox specifies your towbar should be parallel with the ground while towing. Because of the ride height of the PT, and the height of the hitch on the coach, I am using an 8" drop.

Are you all dropping your bar as well?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #7

Buddy of mine tows the PT cruiser and he also has a drop hitch. He also uses Protect-a-Tow but I believe he ordered one slightly longer to compensate for the drop hitch and the roundnesss of the PT cruiser. I would check into that if the Protect-a-Tow is something you'll be going with. I'm very happy with mine although I'm now towing a honda CRV, it's done wonders to keep my car dent and ding free.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Ron,

Yup, the PT is pretty low. We have a 6 inch drop made by Roadmaster. The problem with their (Roadmaster) drop hitch is it adds about a foot of length to the hitch.

We went with the longest Protect-a-Tow (extended unit) and still use bungees or chain to make up for the distance between the vehicles. Still, it works like a charm, and folds up into a little bag to stow away.

I also re-enforced the contact points on the inside of the PT's bumper with aluminum straps. If you have questions on the attachment points on the PT I'll be happy to send pictures.