Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markhansen
Towing toad without supplemental braking system

I have a 2007 34 ft Tiffin MH with the workhorse 2200. I want to tow a 2600 lb Suzuki(4x4) all four down. Do I need the supplemental braking system inside the Suzuki. Appreciate any help
markhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

I would recommend it. Along with the added safety, it is a requirement in many states,

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I too would recommend it in fact I am looking into the purchase of the equipment I need to tow my Jeep using the Blue Ox BX8893 tow bar I already have purchased but need the BX88230 bumper mount for my Jeep and the 62-3366 cable kit for actuating the Jeeps brakes while we travel. I don't much look forward to descending our mountain passes without supplemental braking.

If anyone knows of a place selling the BX88230 bumper mount or the 62-3366 cable kit please let me know. TIA.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

I strongly recommend it...positive control of your rig and tow makes rolling down the road...so much more enjoyable...especially when braking...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Toad braking provides a break-away feature. If it leaves the hook-up, it freekin stops.
Worth every dime
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider the ReadyBrute Elite towbar and brake setup, $1080.00 for the whole shebang. I found it cheaper at other online dealers.
If you already have a towbar, take a look at the ReadyBrake.
These things are great, very simple, considerably less money than buying the electronic box setup. Do a search here on irv2 for ReadyBrute or Readybrake. Haven't really found anyone who has had a problem with it.
Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
BTW, are you towing a Suzuki SX4 Crossover? My wife has one but it's automatic but not towable. The manuals are though.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The unit I have does exactly the same thing as the Ready Brake but its is all internally activated instead of the moving vertical activator the ready brake has.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recommend a braking system, and it is required in many states. I had my toad brakes save us from a very serious panic stop situation.

I also concur if you are not already partially equipped check out the Ready Brute, if I had it to do again I would look at it for sure. Cost effective and a good system.

Your toad is lighter than most but it still takes longer to stop with it on regardless.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
KIX

Florida treats a car in tow by a MH like a trailer. Brakes are required on all wheels if weight is 3000# or more. The combo if MH is 10,000# or more must be able to come to a complete stop within 40 feet at 20mph. Additionally, safety cables are required to be able to keep the trailer (toad) attached if hitch fails. Without aqux braking you are accepting considerable liability.
So, for all practical purposes, a supplemental brake is needed
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhansen View Post
I have a 2007 34 ft Tiffin MH with the workhorse 2200. I want to tow a 2600 lb Suzuki(4x4) all four down. Do I need the supplemental braking system inside the Suzuki. Appreciate any help
I can guarantee that in the event of an accident, that will be the first thing the opposition attorney will look for. Even if not a state requirement, the lack of one will be a huge negative for you.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #11

Hamguy stated the second most compelling reason to use supplmental braking system. The first of course is your own personal safety.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some states are 1500# and others are 3000#. There are a couple that require brakes period.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I too would recommend it in fact I am looking into the purchase of the equipment I need to tow my Jeep using the Blue Ox BX8893 tow bar I already have purchased but need the BX88230 bumper mount for my Jeep and the 62-3366 cable kit for actuating the Jeeps brakes while we travel. I don't much look forward to descending our mountain passes without supplemental braking.

If anyone knows of a place selling the BX88230 bumper mount or the 62-3366 cable kit please let me know. TIA.
Hey Possum, if you are looking for a good new stuff supplier, try these guys in Portland, OR. I bought all my BlueOx stuff from them and their prices and service are great.
P/S they will ship to your door any way you want!

HitchSource.com | Trailer Hitch Accessories, RV Hitches & Racks
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

Add my vote to those who think brakes on the toad are necessary.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, towing