Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Potential Issues pulling trailer behind 45 ft DP

We have a 45' DP and currently tow 4 down but need to replace our current vehicle. DH wants to purchase a trailer to tow an SUV that is not towable. My concern is how this can impact where we stay. We are fulltimers and sometimes have challenges when staying at COE and several membership parks due to our length. What happens when you have a 16 - 18 foot trailer to store? Need some experienced feedback please! Help

Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
welll since you asked
we are 41 feet plus the long hauler trailer,
as far as driving, piece of cake and I can back up.
we haul our 2013 f150 crew cab on it, as far as rv parks...i generally look ahead on google to get a birds eye view of the route.
we can unload and load about the same time as it tacks folks to hook up a toad and do all the safety checks
we stay at coe parks alot, so far its never been a problem.
we get sites that are long enough to store the trailer on it or beside us, or we park it in the lot up front.
recommend get one with axles a bit over what you expect to carry
i have twin 5200lb axles with brakes on all four wheels, plus a 12.5 bulldog hitch coupler
sometimes if just overnight we park the trailer in the grass behind us
private parks are usually the ones we have parking issues, becasue spaces are small, except the rv resort in amarillo, they had huge concrete sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140607_163814-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	897.9 KB
ID:	99889  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have traveled everywhere, and so far have had no problems finding a place to say, or getting in and out of where we wanted to go. We are 42ft+24ft car hauler (72ft overall).

We do not have a trailer as beefy as Powerboat, we only have 3500lbs axels on ours, which allows us a 6000lbs vehicle, since our Jeep is only 5000lbs, it suits our needs very well. Our hauler is all aluminum, so it weighs nothing, I can and have moved it around unloaded by myself just pushing it around.

Don't fear the trailer, once you get one, you will wonder why you ever towed 4 down to begin with. We almost never unhook our trailer, leave it hooked up, pluged in on site. Our rig levels up just fine with the trailer hooked up (loaded or unloaded). We very rarely have to unhook the trailer, maybe once for every 60 camp grounds. The few occasions we have had to unhook it, we just parked it next to our rig or some places have designated trailer parking areas if you want the space next to your rig.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

Towing Trailer behind 45 DP

We are considering trailering a non towable SUV behind our 45 DP. My biggest concern is potential issues at RV Parks, etc. with having a 16 - 18 foot trailer. Any constructive input and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

I am doing the same as you only with a 40 footer and pickup on a trailer from Homestead Fl to upstate New York and have not had to unhook yet as the pull throughs have been long enough for both. Your extra 5 feet may be an issue but I don't think so.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Diva View Post
We are considering trailering a non towable SUV behind our 45 DP. My biggest concern is potential issues at RV Parks, etc. with having a 16 - 18 foot trailer. Any constructive input and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The worst that can happen is, once unloaded, is to leave your trailer at the overflow parking, usually at the entrance of any RV park.
p.s. make sure you put a lock on it
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

We FT and flat tow. We have been to many parks where there is simply no room on the site for an extra trailer and no offsite parking for them. Even at a fairly new park there was barely enough room for the rig and toad. I've seen many struggle with the trailer thing and it just doesn't interest me. The only way it would is if it were enclosed and big enough to carry the car and extra stuff, like a motorcycle. Short of that, it isn't worth it to me, to many it is.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

We are 44' feet and pull a 26' (31' with tongue) for a 75' overall length. While traveling, I call ahead and have always found a park to accommodate our size. Our son has a similar setup and he has no problems either.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
....We are 42ft+24ft car hauler (72ft overall).
Based on the info provided in AAA Digest of Motor Laws, a 72 foot rig is legal in only 7 states. In 38 states a 72 foot rig is at least 7 feet over the limit. Seems like most states limit overall length to either 60 or 65 feet.

While it may not be that big of an issue driving and/or finding places to park it ... I can't imagine there's a lawyer in the country (including those working for your insurance company) who wouldn't be happy to heap all sorts of blame (and liability!) on you in the event you're ever involved in an accident.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

I agree with Crasher about the importance of calling ahead and having reservations. Workers at the RV park should have a pretty good idea of what their available sites can accommodate.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i left out some longevity items

trailer tires are far less costly than the F150's 20" tires
no road rash to the truck on the trailer,
after 20k miles this past winter i upgraded a few items
new heavier axles, springs, wheel and tires

i also use two very lightweight alum ramps, i think they weigh 18 lbs each. the heavy steal ones that came with the trailer were over 85 and impossible to use imo, i found them at autohauler.com
they fit in the pockets for the original ramps as well
i also use E-TRACK tie downs that go over the tires of the truck.
i know we are over 65 feet long, and have never had any issues other than one curb at a fuel station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alum ramp.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	100029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto hauler10.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	100030  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #12

Put a hitch on your trailered vehicle then if you have to unhook it you can put it any where you need to. I understand all laws and lawyer what ifs but if we worried about everything that could happen we would all stay home. My trailer tow for our pick up is 65 overall and my enclosed trailer is at 74 feet more or less no problems so far. I did check Florida and max is 75 feet if I read the statute right but it is written in legalize. Should we all seek legal council before we pull out of the driveway?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recommend doing some research on the forum, there is a lot of great information. Many who haven't trailered will tell you all the perceived negatives, some who have tried rental cars, tow dolly's, 4 down, and now enclosed trailer will tell you it is great.

Others will say you are illegal, but they don't tell you your insurance contract doesn't exclude coverage for being overlength, overweight, speeding, etc. I am not advocating breaking the law, but many laws are archaic and haven't been updated.

My biggest issue with trailering is when I want to take my Coach in for service, I miss the capability of 4 down but I no longer own a vehicle to tow 4 down or the tow bar and misc equipment. My tow vehicle, 2004 GMC Denali decided to catch on fire going down I-70 and not only totaled my Denali but also my beautiful '99 American Eagle.

Think how you would like to use your equipment, do it as safely as possible and have fun. There are many advantages to trailering and some disadvantages, but I wouldn't give up my trailer.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #14

Thanks, everyone. We pick up our trailer Thursday and I'll let you know how things go when we get to Texas next week.

Tags
tow, towing