Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Towing trailer with Class A/ rental question

My wife and I have been looking at Class A DP for a few years, and we are getting close to a purchase (~12 months). I want to pull my 7*14 trailer with 2 touring bikes. I am sure the weight won't be an issue for the DP.My concerns are, how is the backing up? Is it the same as behind my pickup? Is there anything else I need to consider when towing? My trailer is a DA and is to heavy for me to muscle around.

I don't want to go to a toy hauler because I don't want to give up the bedroom and the living space

Are there any DP rentals that anyone can recommend? I have google for RV rentals and find most are Gassers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

present location York Pa.
RV or TH in our future.
luc.who is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Hey, as for backing up a trailer at most campgrounds there's not that much room unless you can get along pull through and that's rare also. Your truck maybe 20ft long and a DP average length is 40ft it takes a lot of room just to turn one around. I always plan not to be able to back up,you might want to install a good wheel on the front of your trailer so it can be rolled around with little effort.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Chasing a short trailer with a long coach can be done, carefully, and the camera can really help. I have towed our Kendon bike trailer, but found it was so much easier to unload the bikes when we arrived, then the trailer. Back into the space and position the easy light weight trailer somewhere deep in the space, then park the bikes. All this is good for long stays, and totally a pain for overnight stops.

If you find you really need to move the trailer with a load, there are several choices of little powered dollies. They will drive the trailer around the campsite, or parking lot to get them away from the coach or back to the coach. Then you just move the coach a foot or two. This would allow you more flexibility with a trailer, size, and weight.
Dave and Dolly
1998, 36' Foretravel, U295, rare mid door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Backing up a trailer with a class A is almost a NO NO..... Especially one with a short tongue.... If attempted, it's a SLOW process..... It takes such a small amt of turning the steering wheel to get into a LOT of trouble..... Slow and easy is the answer and lots of room....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Every one has there own comfort level. I have had no problems with my boat, 16' and 10' trailers. Rear camera and or spotter is nice to have for the tight spots.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
A 7ft wide trailer behind a wide MH cannot be seen until it's turned quite a bit. (the BU cam helps) I have simply laid something (broom handle?) on the trailer bed on the driver's side so I can see it when straight, use that to tell you where to trailer is before you can actually see it.
When the sun is just right, you can see the trailer's shadow.
Practice in and open area using cones or ?/ More practice, then some more.
A guide with a cell/radio is helpful if both of you are on the "same page".
Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
DH backs up our car and trailer combo just fine with MH. He says it's a snap with the rear camera. Of course, he drove farm trucks for years and was well-versed at backing up with equipment in tow. a necessity in that job.

He has parallel parked our 33v Winnebago with 16' trailer attached at Cracker Barrel several times. Some truck stops we've visited have only had back-in spots available and he handles that with no problem, with semis on each side!

We do, however, call ahead and ask about pull-thru availability whenever possible, but if we have to unhitch it doesn't take us that long hook up the next morning. We usually leave the car on the trailer for overnight stops.
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
The secret is ....Simply a wide enough trailer that you can see it in either side mirror.I pull either an 8.516 or 8.524 both have extended tounges, sometimes you have to plan ahead but with care you can park it anywhere you want. Most all DP have a 55 or 60 degree front wheel turn so you can maneuver fairly well.

grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, tow, towing