Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Towing trailer with Thor Outlaw gas engine

We are considering replacing our 40 foot gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters with a 37 foot Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler. (giving up our F350 Diesel too) The Thor Outlaw we are considering has the gas engine. Will be towing a 3 horse bumper pull trailer with it. Weight around 6000 loaded. Have any of you pulled a trailer with this RV? Car hauler etc? I am concerned about whether the RV has the horsepower to pull the trailer, how it handles the tow load as far as stability, and braking. I think we will need to add a aftermarket brake controller to the coach for the trailer. Lastly, we mostly remote camp with horses so I am a little concerned about giving up my 4x4 capability in the truck. How well does this rig handle off the paved road (suspension and traction) Thank you.
TravelDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Class A and off road are not a good combination, wheel base , ground clearance, and turning radius, work against them; most if not all are not equipped with possi-trac, so only driving one set of the duals.
Don't guess at your trailer weight ; for a loaded three horse trailer , I'm thinking 8,000 lbs would be closer to the truth, and well over the capabilities of a gas M/H.
You need to have the trailer tow capacity and the GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating) of any coach you consider.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

I don't think 6,000 is unreasonable depending on the horses. The average horse comes in around 1,000 pounds, some less and some more, and a 3 horse trailer maybe 1,500 to 2,000 plus tack. Years ago had a two horse trailer with two Arabians and the total with tack and food for a week was under 4,000.

Still one need to get accurate weights.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

we know our loaded trailer weight of under 6000 is accurate

We currently have a small fleet of RV and trailers to do all our combined sports. Kids finally out of college and out on their own and we have opportunity to downsize the fleet. I have a class A CDL and have been hauling goosenecks for about 30 years now. I'm trying to stay smaller than the 55 ft of our current rig as it is tight to get into some of our favorite places. The last time we needed a new RV we ordered a custom goose and a new F350 since we couldn't find any choice but a diesel pusher type RV as that was the best option to pull over 5000 pounds. And with a $250K price tag to go with the power a bit hard on the family budget. Very few had a hitch rated higher. Now we see the Thor Outlaw and sales reps say it is built to pull our stuff. We would like to down size our fleet by eliminating the big goose 4 horse with living quarters and big truck (Crew Cab Dually) and get down to one RV that we can use with our spare Featherlight aluminum 3 horse we have now. We usually haul only 2 horses and their tack. The 3rd stall is room for misc - like a few bales of hay or grain. I'm just struggling with believing the Thor sales rep that this RV can indeed pull the load. It's been a long time since I pulled with a gas engine. Our current goose has very low ground clearance with two large sewer drains and tanks below plus external tanks for gray/black. I'm looking at the axle clearance on the Thor and thinking it is at least as high as my F350 & Merhow - the Thor has 22 inch tires as well. Retirement is great and we would like to find the right combo to haul us and the horses around the US for a 4 months of the year. If anyone is pulling a horse trailer or car trailer regularly with the Thor I'd love to hear from you and how you like it. Especially, if you have pulled the truck/goose combo before as comparison. Thanks to all -
Old 10-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

For towing, how fast do you want to go?

I've been to some pretty hairy places in the Outlaw. I think I'm going to avoid them from now on. It's just not worth the risk. I don't mind gravel roads (plenty of those out here) but the more remote you get, the less improved they are. Ground clearance tends to be fine, but turn radius isn't great and traction is really poor. If you are planning anything that could be considered adventurous, make sure you bring lots of extra firewood and a few planks for washed out, slippery or loose areas.

Oh yes - this rig is also very tall. You need to be sure you can get under everything.

Good luck!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Thank you

Thank you for the advice. We are still considering the Outlaw. I'm going to go back to the two dealerships and try to talk to some of the people there and have another serious look at the units. My husband and I felt comfortable with the space inside meeting our needs and he is comfortable with how it is built. One of our favorite remote campgrounds for horses had me a bit worried about the Outlaw but then we realized they bring fully loaded logging trucks in the same road as the campground - so I'm thinking if a logging truck can drive that gravel road - the Outlaw should be able to do it too. I pull my current rig in there now with no trouble. I actually think I will be improving my turning radius over the gooseneck rig as the axles are shorter distance between the front and rear on the Outlaw than my current set up. I need to do some checking on adding a brake controller for the trailer but it should be fairly easy to install on the wiring harness provided by the manufacturer. This was standard prctice before the early 2000's when the truck manufacturers started to just integrate them into the vehicle dash rather than force us to buy one and add on. I do appreciate all you folks sharing your thoughts. Safe travels -

The crazy people towing horses, hauling 3 huge sight-hounds and 1 crazy Ozark Mountain Cur dog around the US. You'll know us when you see us because there just can't be two families like ours out there.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Come Ask Outlaw Owners!

If buying used...before 2014.5 models, all Outlaws had a 5,000lb receiver. Our Outlaw could easily tow over 9,000lb because of loaded weight, GVWR and GCWR...but would need to upgrade the receiver hitch.
We have towed a cargo trailer, big boat (see signature block) and midsized SUV toad.

If buying new...Since the 2014.5 models, TMC went to a ClassIII-Plus receiver at 8,000lb for all Class A Outlaws thanks to the Top-of-the-line 26,000lb GVWR chassis.

We think a Class A toy hauler is the BEST and most versatile RV anyone can acquire. The front is a very nice and comfy RV. The garage can be anything you want...load all your big toys, then when unloaded it can be used as an office, a big dining hall, or add touches to make it a master suite (have done this when traveling with a senior couple). And the ramp is also a giant deck...an awesome industry exclusive.

The loft is always there and set-up for adults or kids...clean, quiet, and free of traffic to/from the garage.

The F53 chassis has better ground clearance than most all Diesel Pushers with no low slung engine/trans in the far back - but off-road is a relative term. Dirt roads are OK, but going is not fast.
And, for electiic brakes on any trailer, the current F53 chassis is prewired for the standard 7pin trailer plug. Just buy the brake controller you like.

And, please notice there are 2 Outlaw toy hauler floor plans (one with and one without a regular bedroom) plus the Class C's and 2 Residence Editions (not toy haulers): http://outlawrv.com/class-a/

Please come ask questions of owners here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...aw-102560.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas, thor, tow, towing