RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing truck with golf cart in back

I have seen many rvers towing a truck behind both on a dolly and 4 down.
The wifey likes to have a golf cart when we glamp. I am looking for suggestions for a truck that is towable 4 down or on a dolly. Something that will fit a small golf cart in the bed. I have seen it but never paid much attention.

Am I crazy to try this? The rv is rated to tow 7500 lbs. We always travel light loaded so I believe I would be good.

Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
The wifey likes to have a golf cart when we glamp. I am looking for suggestions for a truck that is towable 4 down or on a dolly. Something that will fit a small golf cart in the bed. I have seen it but never paid much attention.

Am I crazy to try this? The rv is rated to tow 7500 lbs. We always travel light loaded so I believe I would be good.
, "Most" half ton four wheel drive trucks can be flat towed. Just be sure to confirm before purchase. Motor home magazine and Roadmaster tow equipment websites will confirm which can and can't be towed. Would not want to use a dolly for this setup

Old 09-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We carried one in or '05 Colorado Crew and now in our Sierra 1500 Crew. I'm hoping one will fit in the Gladiator bed!
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Another option is what I do, except I have a motorcycle instead of a golf cart, and it's a deck over dolly trailer. The Deck is very low so loading is easy. My tow limit is 5K so I chose this option so we could take a car and motorcycle and be under our limit. We've been pretty happy so far. We're 65ft long and it's a gas coach so finding accommodating fuel stops can be a little difficult at times, but we've learned to start looking for fuel before we need it. So far so good.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:

Just some advice, don't go with the "I believe I would be good" philosophy, I'd have everything weighed to be certain. I own a 2014 Ford F150 4WD crew cab and it weighs 6,055 lbs. full of fuel with no load. My 1999 Yamaha 48V golf cart weighs 985 lbs. with no load. At those weights, you'd be close to your max tow rate. Not saying you'll be unsafe and it won't work but just advising to KNOW your actual weights and not assume you're okay. Lastly, heed the post about not using a tow dolly while the golf cart is in the truck bed. I don't have anything technical to back up my OPINION on it except it just "seems" unsafe (a lot of weight in the truck bed, less weight on the front of the truck, sagging rear end, etc.) Good luck and travel safe!

bharrisv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #6

I flat tow a 2019 F 150 with a golf cart in the bed. I also have a 6 1/2 foot bed which I highly advise. Even at that I have to leave the tailgate down for the cart to fit.
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a tundra 2wd so it is not towable. At this point I am gathering info since the wife seems to want a golf cart.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a tundra 2wd so it is not towable. At this point I am gathering info since the wife seems to want a golf cart.
If a golf cart will fit in your Tundra and you have no reason to replace it , why not look at a driveshaft disconnect and tow it??.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If a golf cart will fit in your Tundra and you have no reason to replace it , why not look at a driveshaft disconnect and tow it??.
Where would I find info on the driveshaft disconnect?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Where would I find info on the driveshaft disconnect?

Try Here: https://www.remcodsc.com/

And Here:

https://justfortowing.com/remco_driv...isconnect.html
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We carried one in or '05 Colorado Crew and now in our Sierra 1500 Crew. I'm hoping one will fit in the Gladiator bed!
Club car precedent fits...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190813_193238.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	260455

biggdave92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing