Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW has health problems I need to get her to an ER NOW when she starts vomiting blood although she hasn't done it for over two years now. Now we'll need transportation for a liver transplant so again I need quick access.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, but I needed a second car.

The responses to this thread cover the decision point well, so I won't go into them.

In my case, My wife and I looked at our total transportation situation and made a decision to own a toad and a lease a main car.

We are seniors and we like having a nice automobile available when we take short trips, going out to dinner, explore places within an hour or so of our home, etcetera.

At the same time, we do a lot of short "runs". You know, supermarket, post office, doctors, pharmacies, rounds of golf, and such. Once you look at them, we saw that the total miles we drove really added up for us.

Having an RV, which we have owned several of over the years, we have gone through this same decision making process of "Rent or Tow".

The results were simple really, if you take a low number of trips in your RV, then you rent, if you take lots of trips in your RV, you own Toad.

But, you need to consider what your needs are when you are at home also, as I did.

Once we looked at the annual mileage we drove, and had broken it down, we searched around found a nice luxury car that we negotiated a good deal on for a 3-year lease.
We use this car as I mentioned, and stay well within the mileage limits of the lease.
Then, we purchased a small, cheap but quality car (Kia Soul) for use on those constant short runs to the many places we have to travel to regularly. Because I already owned a tow hitch, the modifications to the Soul at CW only cost me $1100.
With this solution, I have my run-around car for errands essentially, we have our luxury car for when we go out, and my total car costs are not very high at all considering what I am using the two vehicles for.
And, I have a nice fuel efficient, roomy tow car for use when we travel and camp in our RV.
Think about it.

RamblingDon
2006 Fleetwood 35E Bounder
2015 Kia Soul - TOAD

Old 10-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #17

We are looking at taking the same approach. Getting our first coach Feb. 2016 and would like to rent until we get a little more comfortable. My wife has a car under lease until August 2016 so hopefully we manage until then and when we turn in the lease we purchase a used Wrangler. How is/did renting work out?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #18

Towing versus rental

For us the convenience outweighs any costs that are involved, we tow a Wrangler Unlimited which for me is an every day driver. As for the cost savings of not using one, traveling in a 43 foot class A is probably not the cheapest way to see the country, but it suits our needs just fine😀
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think to answer the OP's last question...

I doubt many have "records" to compare having a toad vs not having a toad. Even if they did, the variables may make a comparison to your needs and wants could make such comparisons useless.

So...going beyond the scope of the question (wandering off topic?) and looking at subjective and intrinsic aspects...

It boils down to what is important to the person making that decision. Some factors (many already mentioned but I like lists. ) to consider on reasons to have or not have a toad.

1. Type of travel. Snow birds that travel 1 or 2 places a year and have good access to rental/lease/public transportation might do well without a toad. I know of some snowbirds that have a second car at there winter home. Others that travel to a lot of destinations and/or some of them "remote" will probably want a toad. Full timers that still travel a lot will probably (I bet over 90%) chose to have a toad.

2. Emergency needs. If you don't have a vehicle on site and need to make an emergency trip, what are you going to do? If your MH breaks down, it can serve as a safe place to stay in while waiting for assistance or a way to find assistance. As an example if you have a major systems failure or an accident and must exit the MH, having a car when outside temps are extremely high or low or during other hazardous situations can be a life saver.

3. Hobby and fun things. If you like to go into rugged places then a toad is essential. Jeeps are the most popular for those folks. I've also seen pick ups used as toads to carry other fun things like golf carts, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, bicycles and other toys.

4. Convenience. Sometimes is it just to darn convenient to have one instead of not having one.

Of course, this is all balanced by the value a person places on these and other factors. The number of times the MH will be used, where it goes and convenient access to other forms of transportation might offset the costs for purchasing a vehicle appropriate for towing and the needed systems to tow that vehicle. For some of us, when you add up all the practical aspects of having a toad and throw in a few intrinsic factors it adds up to having a toad. Others...it might not an that's OK.

YMMV
Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrf View Post
We are looking at taking the same approach. Getting our first coach Feb. 2016 and would like to rent until we get a little more comfortable. My wife has a car under lease until August 2016 so hopefully we manage until then and when we turn in the lease we purchase a used Wrangler. How is/did renting work out?
2 thoughts.

1. We had a similar situation with a lease and took the same approach of waiting out the lease to get our toad. So, our first year in a previous RV was without a toad. We only rented one time because our trip was long enough to justify that expense. Otherwise, the trips we took in that MH were short enough to drive our car behind the MH. The one time we rented worked out OK.

2. To be honest, there is a very short period of time between learning how to handle your MH vs your MH and toad. If you are committed to having a toad...you will want it sooner than later.

That being said, are you planning to go FT? It sounds like you only plan to have 1 vehicle. That factors into my previous message.

Tags
tow, towing