Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #1

Did some quick math, not my strongest, subject and figured that we would actually save money by renting a car we stop .... I based this on the facts that we would, first, have to buy a tow dolly since our car is not 4 down towable, and that we would see about a 1 to 1.5 mpg difference in towing vs. not towing .... Based on all this a round trip to, for example, Branson and a week stay would actually save us almost $40 over just the gas costs alone, not even considering the purchase of the tow dolly ....
Just wondering if anyone else does this and how you have made out by doing this?

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #2

Did some quick math, not my strongest, subject and figured that we would actually save money by renting a car we stop .... I based this on the facts that we would, first, have to buy a tow dolly since our car is not 4 down towable, and that we would see about a 1 to 1.5 mpg difference in towing vs. not towing .... Based on all this a round trip to, for example, Branson and a week stay would actually save us almost $40 over just the gas costs alone, not even considering the purchase of the tow dolly ....
Just wondering if anyone else does this and how you have made out by doing this?

Andrea
Old 07-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
We actually tried this on one trip. When in Las Vegas we rented a small car and traveled around the area seeing the sites. This worked for the destination end of the trip. But when we were in Sedona/Flagstaff for a couple of days we really could not travel short trips because we had no transportation other than the MH. On trips with no auto rental offices/outlets, what would you do? I like the idea of saving money for sure, but I also like the convenience of being able to drive to the sites in the area, the grocery store or explore some back woods trails. One of our favorite spots to camp is Moccasin Creek SP in the N Georgia mountains. The toad makes it possible to stay there and travel to many different locations in the area. Certainly no rental available there.
I do agree in principal with your view, just not practical for us.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your math is likely correct - you can rent a lot of car-days for the price of a tow bar, brake unit, light hook-ups, etc. Especially if you have to pay to have someone else install those things.

For most of us who tow, it is matter of convenience rather than cost. Renting a car is not too much hassle if you go someplace and stay several days, but for a series of shorter stays it gets pretty tedious, to the point where it isn't worth it to get a car for just an afternoon or even a single day. And of course, if you full time or even part-time, you get your money's worth out of the tow bar within a year.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:36 PM   #5

Doc : Believe it or not there is an Enterprise car rental place 22 miles away from the SP and the car rental is around $20 per day
RV Roamer : I put all the costs, including the purchase and installation into a spreadsheet and using a 1.5 MPG difference in towing vs not towing it figured out that we can rent a car for more than 90 days before we equal out, and that did not include the insurance, etc. on a tow dolly or the wear and tear on our car ....
So, for right now anyway, it looks like we will try the rental option and see how it goes

Andrea
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you spend anywhere near 90 days/year on the road, my guess is you will change your mind and opt for 4-down towing, regardless of cost. But for vacation use, car rental is no doubt the economical way to go. Of course, RV rental (rather than ownership)is also more economical in the same scenario.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #7

I had the unfortunate experience of breaking down while on a short trip not too long ago. Without our toad, we were stranded. Luckily, I had family close by that could come and get us.
It just so happened that this was the first (and last) time that I will ever go anywhere without the toad.

I only lose about a 1/2 MPG when towing. The elements (wind, rain, terrain) play a bigger part in gas mileage than does my toad.

JMHO, Scott
Old 11-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #8

Fiver I was woundering if you have taken any trips and rented a car ? And if so how did it work. I had used toad in the past but don't have that type of car anymore and had tought about renting the next time we take that type of trip.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #9

Hi
We took a week to Savannah and rented from Enterprise. Great to deal with but are not open on Sunday and Monday so had to work around it. All in all it was fine. If we would go to some place out of the way we had looked into renting a dolly from UHaul .... dollar wise about the same as renting from Enterprise. I think we will probably, eventually, get a dolly but with these two options we can take our time and look for the best buy on one.

Andrea
Old 11-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #10

I will never leave home in my rig without a tow car behind me.

My last rig had to be towed on 4 occasions (gas, Chevy p30 chassis). If I did not have a tow car with me, life would have been awfully inconvenient for us, including two dogs.

I'm on our third tow car since '99. I'm using the same tow bar system and Brake Buddy.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #11

to; fiver driver;

to toad or not to toad

cost should be one of many things to consider whether to tow or not. as mentioned in other postings,break-downs and other problems don't always happen in convienient locations,how far will enterprise drive to pick you up to do the paperwork?? 10, 15 25 30 or more miles? i know about 15 miles is about their limit and that's if someone else is there to cover the office . i' ve been in this situation before and it sure was a bad use of treasured time. remember , we all can recover most things spent, but you don't get that time spent waiting for anything back to use again. once used ,it's gone.

a few years ago we went from boston to calgary, alberta, canada, further north to banff and still further to the northwest corner of alberta,needless to say, but i will, we did not stay in populated places most of the time and we saw a lot of trees, bears and other wildlife. no rental car agencies. i think if you are always going to stay on the "beaten track" you may be able to do without toad. bot if you want to see and experience what god put here and we haven't messed up yet, the toad would enable you to use your time rv'ing most enjoyable. we try to avoid as much of the non - rv'ing population as possible, except when selling the concept of being almost completely independant.

hope this info lets you look at the need to toad a little differently.

thanks ajbjrvers