Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Towing VW 6-speed manual trans

I have seen several threads about flat towing VWs with manual transmissions. I know VW says it is not towable, but I've seen folks who say there would be no damage, and apparently there are some folks flat towing them. If I was to take the risk, VW also says that mileage would accumulate on the odometer. Anyone know if that is true and how, or if, that could be bypassed.

2014 Thor Miramar 34.1
2012 VW Golf TDI - 6-speed manual (3 pedals!)
Better half, 2 sons-18 & 16
GA Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems like BlueOx site is down right now, but are you sure you can get a baseplate for that?

Normally odometers are electronic so if the car is off there's no way for miles to register on the odo. However if VW says it does then it probly does. LOL.

I just popped over to Roadmaster and they do have a baseplate: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521235-1.pdf

So looks like you can hook a towbar, so why does VW say no flat-towing? Does the gearbox lube with the motor off? That is the question. I would call Roadmaster technical and ask them what they know.

Sometimes the car manufacturers don't or won't say for liability reasons - if you tow it and it blows up they don't have to fix it. Sometimes there's no reason it can't be towed.

Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
GA Cajun,
The first thing I would do is, do not rely on any source other than a VW transmission tech. I'm partial to the later VW TDI cars. I've had two of the new Beetle models and loved them to death. If we still had either one of them, I'd be towing it as second toad. But, back to your question. Of all the folks I've had the pleasure of talking with at camp grounds and RV parks who, tow later model VWs, about 95% of them said they went to the VW dealer and, by-passed the service writer etc. and went directly to the transmission tech on duty.

Each and every one of the techs told various folks that, there would be no damage to any of the stick version VWs out there. Now, did that include the 6-spd? Well, I don't remember. But, all of these folks I spoke with, had thousands and thousands of towed miles without one issue. The techs stated that they cannot put anything they say in writing because it's in direct conflict with VOA rules and regulations and, protocol.

The folks I talked with towed the late model Beetles, Jettas and one more but, I forgot which one. They were all happy not only towing them but, also driving them. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club

I've seen quite a few of your posts regarding the VW techs, so that's why I might go ahead and take my chances. I love the TDI, so I'm not giving it up.

I saw that Roadmaster has a base plate. I have a Roadmaster tow bar, so I figured I'd stick with the same company. Again, my issue is whether mileage will add up. I'd hate my odo to have lots more mileage than I've driven. Just wonder if there is a fuse or something I could pull to keep it from adding up. Though someone out there might know.

Thank you both for your replies.

2014 Thor Miramar 34.1
2012 VW Golf TDI - 6-speed manual (3 pedals!)
Better half, 2 sons-18 & 16
GA Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2013 VW Passat SE FWD 5 speed manual, that I towed with an Acme EZ Tow dolly. In doing my research, I found the only way to tow it without potential damage was on a dolly. If you decide to "chance it", let us know how it went...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

manual, towing