Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

towing VW Jetta cross country..uhaul trailer or dolly

I'll be towing a gas 2011 VW jetta SE (FWD, automatic) across the US. Not sure if I'm ready to buy a dolly or trailer and will more than likely rent whatever is needed to tow it with my 32' Fleetwood storm class A. I've seen cars on UHAUL flat trailers and dollies so I'm not sure which is better. I know with a trailer I can back up as opposed to a dolly (big plus), but does one tow better than the other? Safety is also a concern as it seems that a trailer is less likely to have any problems but is more than likely heavier. I've got a 500lb. tongue weight limit and 5000lb tow limit. The car is 3,082lbs. I've also considered buying a trailer or dolly for the long term, but want to make the best choice. Thoughts appreciated!
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Need more info.

Are you towing once, from A to B?
Stopping along the way at SP/CGs?
How are you defining Best?

Trailer is best IF: 1) You think you might need to back up. 2)You will not need to store the trailer (some CGs). 3) Your trip is a one-time event as loading/unloading time and space required is greater.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad10th View Post
I'll be towing a gas 2011 VW jetta SE (FWD, automatic) across the US. Not sure if I'm ready to buy a dolly or trailer and will more than likely rent whatever is needed to tow it with my 32' Fleetwood storm class A. I've seen cars on UHAUL flat trailers and dollies so I'm not sure which is better. I know with a trailer I can back up as opposed to a dolly (big plus), but does one tow better than the other? Safety is also a concern as it seems that a trailer is less likely to have any problems but is more than likely heavier. I've got a 500lb. tongue weight limit and 5000lb tow limit. The car is 3,082lbs. I've also considered buying a trailer or dolly for the long term, but want to make the best choice. Thoughts appreciated!
Someone else may chime in here, but I am not entirely sure that u-haul dolly's are equipped with surge or electric brakes.

In essence you are adding at least a 3100 pound "rolling weight" to the back of your MH, I would think with that much additional weight moving down the road, you'll want the supplemental braking for your toad. If the U-haul dolly doesn't come with brakes, then go with the trailer. The 4-up trailers, I know, have surge brakes on them. I've used them before.

It's your call, and you could do it either way, but for peace of mind, adhering to the laws of the states/counties you'll be passing through, I would go with the supplemental braking system on whatever you use to pull your Jetta behind you.

Heaven forbid the worst should happen. If you werent following proper towing laws, then you've got a citation from the officer, most likely be found at-fault for the accident due to not following the towing laws, and subject to personal injury suits, damage recovery from not only those involved in the accident, but u-haul as well.

As a side note, my bet is that somewhere within the "rental agreement" is the acceptance of your full financial responsibility for the replacement of damaged equipment, should it be discovered that you were not adhering to state law at the time of the accident. That could get really expensive in a big hurry!
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
A UHaul car hauler is 2,210 lbs. With your Jetta at 3100 lbs, you are over your tow limit by about 300 lbs.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
U Haul tow dollies do not have brakes. Since towing a car hauler would put you over your limits, I wouldn't recommend it. If you plan to keep the Jetta automatic for a while, I'd suggest you buy a tow dolly with surge brakes to tow safely. That way you're not out any rental money. If you decide you don't like using a dolly, you can sell the dolly and get a car that can be towed 4 down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Braking Laws
ROADMASTER INC.

2004 State and Provincial Guidelines for Towing Vehicles

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/pdfs/towbrakelaws.pdf
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We towed our 2005 Jedda Diesel with a Demco Tow Dolly with surge brakes for many years with no problem at all. We now tow our 2012 Passat Diesel with the same dolly.

Can hardly tell it's back there.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rent a trailer or dolly from U-haul.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, towing