Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2floridanomads View Post
Our toad is a 2011 smart car. It only weighs 1800 lbs so it tows like it's not there. No auxiliary brakes as they are not required in most states. We don't off road but we do many roads that are gravel or dirt with no problem. It Carries the two of us and two dogs in the back and gets 45 mpg running around and cost only 10500 msrp. This is a good little toad.
Yes ours is 80000 miles and hauled on trailer
We have nothing bad to say about us being so smart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2floridanomads View Post
Our toad is a 2011 smart car. It only weighs 1800 lbs so it tows like it's not there. No auxiliary brakes as they are not required in most states. We don't off road but we do many roads that are gravel or dirt with no problem. It Carries the two of us and two dogs in the back and gets 45 mpg running around and cost only 10500 msrp. This is a good little toad.
This reminds me of last summer while sitting at a stop light in my 64 deville convert what pulls along side of me a gentleman in a smart car. We looked at each other with big smiles, I wish I could have had a picture of the 2 cars. I'll bet 3 of them will fit along side of the 64 maybe 4 What is the length of your smart car? My 64 is 19'6. and gets maybe 8 miles to the gallon but what a mile.Thank you GM
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #17

I bought a Smart for the sole purpose of towing it. (I also have a Malibu Max rigged for towing but I wanted something lighter with my present RV). My Smart is 8'8" (106.1in) long per the spec (never measured it). I hardly know it is there from a performance perspective. I agree with those who say lighter is better for towing. As someone said, in most jurisdictions, toad brakes are not required for a vehicle weighing less than 2000lbs and my Rig, with the Smart, can stop within the distance cited in the CA regs. Nontheless, I got a readybrake for additional safety. It has been a great toad, albeit it is limited to 2 persons, Dog, groceries, golf clubs etc, go in the back, (Not all at once).

For most gassers, weight is critical. My GCVW is 16000 lbs and my GVWR is 12400 lbs, so if I was at my GVWR, I could only tow 3600 lbs. Yes my tow system is rated for 5000lbs tow and 500Lbs tounge wt. My Malibu weighs about 3300 Lbs. So I am OK with it but it is getting close. I most always travel with full tanks when I can and in our road configuration we are close to the GVWR. I suspect most gassers have a similar situations.

Never had these issues with my DPs.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #18

The smarty is 8 ft long
Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smart Car

Just to share...no tow bar and no tow dolly needed

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartCarrier2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	52162

One of our fellow members does this and her Outlaw is on the classified's...but it's not an 8.1L (it's got a Cummins FRED)
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How cool that is. I saw a picture on line a few years ago that the MH lower part opened and a Benz compressor convert was under it and it slid out and the compressor drive off. It was a German made mh. What a garage that is.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a Chevy Captiva, and at about 3700lbs it is great to tow on the level and ok when going up hill, but we do notice it's back there then. No problem going down the hill though!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #22

moving and stopping well be ok but you well find more 5820 lbs hard to turn with go slow on making your turns give your tow time for the wheels to follow you
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2012 Subaru Impreza 5 speed manual behind our Winnebago Aspect 26A. Hardly even know it's there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #24

We go with a SMART for two as well. It makes a perfect car for two people to use as a toad. We tow with a 8.1 liter with an aluminum tilt bed trailer. Total weight with trailer is 2300 lbs. Tows great.

We have a hitch on the SMART that we can tow the aluminum trailer for rounding up fire wood and whatever.

Bought the 2013 SMART used for $12 grand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMART 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	52266   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMART 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	52267  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #25

Vapor3000

Nice setup. What is the total weight of the trailer & tongue wt with no load? And what hitch do you have on the Smarty?

Do not see in picture, but perhaps this is before you mounted one. I suspect you just used the tow bolt holes to mount the Hitch.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I dunno, my Subaru outback is pretty darn perfect if you ask me

It's light at 3000 lbs, it's roomy as heck inside, it has 63 cubic feet of storage with the seats laid down, it drives real nice, it was cheap to buy (under 16k), tow bar was a snap to install, it's all wheel drive with awesome ground clearance, it's simple and cheap to repair, decent gas mileage, hook up and tow is ridiculously simple - just put in neutral, unlock the wheel and go, and it looks really snazzy with a yakima mega warrior roof basket on it, which gives me another 52 x 48 inches of space on top for in town cargo, bikes, kayaks, whatever

I bought mine with 34k miles on it, 3 years old
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #27

Tow

We tow a GMC Canyon pickup. It is like the Colorado and tows very nice. It has a crew cab, automatic 4 wheel drive. Don't have to do anything to the truck which is nice. I think it is approx. 3,200 lbs.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtraveler View Post
We tow a GMC Canyon pickup. It is like the Colorado and tows very nice. It has a crew cab, automatic 4 wheel drive. Don't have to do anything to the truck which is nice. I think it is approx. 3,200 lbs.
Your Canyon is more like 4200 pounds curb weight. I can only tow 4000 pounds and my Canyon Crew Cab weighs 4200 plus so I tow a CRV.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, toad, towing, weight