Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Vapor3000

Nice setup. What is the total weight of the trailer & tongue wt with no load? And what hitch do you have on the Smarty?

Do not see in picture, but perhaps this is before you mounted one. I suspect you just used the tow bolt holes to mount the Hitch.
Libero,

Our Aluma tilt bed trailer weighs less than 650 lbs unloaded. I'm not sure about the unloaded tongue weight, but you can lift it with one hand and move the trailer easily. I would guess less than 50 lbs.

I did not have the hitch mounted on the Smart when I took the pictures on this post. You can get the hitch most anywhere. I bought mine on eBay. Do a Google search for Smart hitches and you will find many sources. You can also see how it mounts to the floor w/4 bolts.

Here's what it looks like when the bed is titled for loading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42559.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	52333  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #30

Thanks, that is a nice trailer. Total dumb of me not to have figured out trailer wt. You gave the total wt. Sorry sometimes my thinking cap springs a leak. But if the Trailer is 650lbs, then the total loaded wt would be 1850 + 650 = 2500 lbs. But this is not bad for that setup.

I tow my Smart 4 down but the trailer option has its Pros, and Cons of course. You can backup and having the capability to tow the trailer with the toad is a plus also. (Good for putting the trailer in a stored location when at a campsites and other cargo can be put on the trailer with less wear on the toad running gear etc.)

I suppose one could use securing points in front and back to secure the Smart to the trailer? Did not see that in the picture. Perhaps straps on the tires might make it more secure.

I would think a Smart could tow 650lbs OK with most hitches. Tongue wt could be adjusted by load distribution if you wanted to haul a small load.

I suspect that trailer is equipped with brakes? What kind of brakes? Will search the web also. This interests me for other options.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend that you limit your toad to 3,500 pounds with the 8.1 Workhorse. My toad is about that weight including the stuff that we carry in it and it tows very nicely. You will be able to keep up with the trucks or even go a bit faster but your speed will definitely slow down on the hills. You will not be able to maintain the speed limit at all times.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our 2005 PT Cruiser convertible with a 5-speed standard transmission weighs around 3200 lbs. and can be towed with no modifications other than the installation of towbar brackets. We don't have to pull any fuses, just put it in neutral and turn the ignition key one click.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #33

I was wrong. My 2004 GMC Canyon is an extended cab and not a crew cab and the curb weight is 3,656 lbs. I am sure the crew cab is definitely more weight.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
What happened to the OP??
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My max MH tow rating is 5000 lbs. We tow a 2006 Honda Accord - 4 down, weight around 3000 lbs. Very good toad. Only requirement is to stop every 8 hours and start Honda engine and run for about 10 minutes. I do that when stopping for lunch and that carries me to the end of the day.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Thanks, that is a nice trailer. Total dumb of me not to have figured out trailer wt. You gave the total wt. Sorry sometimes my thinking cap springs a leak. But if the Trailer is 650lbs, then the total loaded wt would be 1850 + 650 = 2500 lbs. But this is not bad for that setup.

I tow my Smart 4 down but the trailer option has its Pros, and Cons of course. You can backup and having the capability to tow the trailer with the toad is a plus also. (Good for putting the trailer in a stored location when at a campsites and other cargo can be put on the trailer with less wear on the toad running gear etc.)

I suppose one could use securing points in front and back to secure the Smart to the trailer? Did not see that in the picture. Perhaps straps on the tires might make it more secure.

I would think a Smart could tow 650lbs OK with most hitches. Tongue wt could be adjusted by load distribution if you wanted to haul a small load.

I suspect that trailer is equipped with brakes? What kind of brakes? Will search the web also. This interests me for other options.
No need for brakes. I have towed this Aluma trailer w/Smart many thousands of miles with no problems. I have 3,000 lb axles and 6 ply 14" tires/wheels. We use this trailer for a Harley trike and a Polaris RZR as well when not using the Smart.

I have tie down points fwd and aft. Use ratchet tie downs through the spokes of the Smart and tie the car front and and rear. It has never moved so much as an inch while on the trailer.

The Smart hitch is rated for 2,000 lbs though I never load it anywhere close to that. The trailer weighs 620 lbs and the Smart weighs 1750 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas (I've weigh it).
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #37

Thanks - never weighed my Smart, I think the spec sheet says 1850 or so.

Tags
gas, toad, towing, weight