Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Towing with?

Which is better to tow with, a tow dolly or tow bar?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh boy!

I've done both with the same vehicle and towed. Easiest is four down, but it puts more wear on the towed than on a dolly. Speed restrictions and time limits apply when four down.
For the sake of the towed on a dolly, for ease of hookup and storage four down.
And you also have to have a towed that can be towed four down

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here on dolly vs 4 down. First off, is the planned toad able to be towed 4 down? On a tow dolly? Or are you yet to decide on the toad?

Myself, I tow 4 down. Don't want to have to handle the stowing of a dolly at a campground or at home. 4 down is quick and easy to connect/disconnect.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy MM View Post
Which is better to tow with, a tow dolly or tow bar?
Depends on the vehicle being towed, how frequently you plan on towing, where you store the dolly when not in use, etc.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Thanks my thoughts also about the dolly.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #6

towing with?

Ive been debating this myself. I know that I would much prefer 4 down for the convenience factor. But between the tow bar, baseplate & the brake system, even used it adds up. I've found several used tow Dolly's for under 1000.00.
But, than what do I do with the dolly when not in use?, now o have 2 more tires, brakes & bearings to take care of, as well as straps etc.
if I have s back in site I have to, well, you know . Decisions
Old 04-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

My car can be towed four down. Went with a dolly though. When I saw how the front of the car had to be cut for the tow bar installation, that was the clincher for me. One thing you might want to do as part of your decision is go to etrailer.com and see if they carry a baseplate for your car. Then, if they have an installation video, watch it.

Cost was lower with the dolly as well. There are also speed restrictions when towing some cars four down and there are things that might need to be done at fuel stops, I.e., run the motor and shift through the gears.

However, hook up and disconnect is definitely easier four down and I would be lying if I didn't admit to wishing I went four down when it is pouring out and I need to hook up the car and dolly.

Finally, if you have AWD, many are not towable four down or on a dolly so make sure you thoroughly investigate before spending any money.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Both ways to tow are very good and both have down-sides...it's all about what you want and can do with your car and budget.

What ever you decide, here's hope that you get brakes on the toad (with a break-away device)...not required in many places but is safer than without.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It depends upon what you are planning to tow, how big is it, can it be towed 4 down or on a dolly.

If we did not have an enclosed trailer we would likely tow 4 down.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
My thoughts on it are that we have 2 vehicles we like to have with us. When I am going out alone I want my truck with me, the DW hates my truck, when we go together we want her vehicle. We may soon go to another vehicle. Going 4 down takes more money with ea vehicle where using a dolly you can take just about any vehicle with you. I live on a wooded acre with no HOA so I can store a dolly without restriction.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dolly- Tow anything, with anything (almost) Great for all those Dads who also function as 'Dads Auto repair and Towing service" when the kids car breaks down, etc. AND you can tow a car behind the MH when its not in use for other stuff.

4 Down - Easy hookup, regardless of tow system

I have both, I rarely use the dolly with the MH.

NEXT ---

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towed's fall into four groups
May be towed 4 down
May be towed 4 down with modification
May not be towed 4 down but can be towed 2 down
May not be towed weels down,, must be fully trailered

The first two groups Tow bar, with proper aux brake system and in the case of the 2nd group. Modification.. Only way to tow.

The 3rd group...If you have the Towing capacity..Blend it into the last group (Full trailer)

WORST way to tow.. Dolly.

WHY

Heaven forbid something happens (True story insert...Not 3 miles from where I am typing is a section of road with a "Right lane must turn right" Lane.. Woman in right lane,,,Decided to turn LEFT... Right in front of a car that was in the left (Through) Lane... Put both drivers in the hospital Her totaled car was in two pieces..The Police car (Yes the guy in the trough lane was a cop) Was also totaled...(The officer was treated at hospital and sent home..She had to stay a while).

I got to see it (A few days later) from the viewpoint of the officer's dash cam...

Well if something like that happens you normally (Assume you are the person in the through lane) Stand on the brakes with both feet.

When this happens...And all wheels both towed (Or Trailer)and towing (Motor home)lock up...The skid distance under "normal" Conditions is defined by a very simple formula 5.5*((Speed/10)^2). Same for all vehicles.

But if you have wheels on the ground (Dolly has two wheels that DO NOT HAVE BRAKES.. The math is much "Longer" and so is the stopping distance.

And if you put brakes on those two wheels the car can disengage from the dolly and become a Dell Shannon song (Runaway)
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #13

My ACME dolly has disc brakes. Comes standard. I wouldn't buy a dolly without them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #14

Throw in the full, Wal-Mart truck with the tired driver, coming up behind you and it don't matter how many brakes you have.

It's all a crap shoot.

Tags
towing, tow