Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing with a class A gas.

We have recently purchased a 2008winnebago Sightseer on a Workhorse chasis with the 8.1Vortec V8. We own two Ford cars, a 2004 Focus w/auto & a 2005 Escape w/auto & AWD. Neither one can be flat towed according to Ford & MH magazine. Can I tow the Escape on or in a trailer. What is the cost as far as cargo capacity, fuel economy and RV park access? I am thinking reduced wear on the toad and more toad options. I am also weighing the cost of "toad" gear vs trailer. Thanks. IRV2 is the best resource I have found regarding these matters

3 Humans,2 Dogs,1 Vision, sharing a Winnebago Sightseer 35J on a Workhorse Chassis. Allen, Donna, Drew, Bella & Pippy in the MH we call Glor-E-B!
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Depends on how much weight trailer and car would be, and if your rig is capable of that plus tongue weight.

Offhand I would guess you need to dolly it. But I know others more informed will jump in on this.

Happy trails

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have the same chassis, 500lb tongue weight, 5000lb load. I have a 2012 ford focus I will be towing.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I realize you said "I am also weighing the cost of "toad" gear vs trailer"
But there is a way to tow those vehicles.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Your least expensive option is a dolly with surge brakes for the Focus. Since the Escape is AWD your limited in options. Trailer + Escape will most likely be over your 5000 lbs towing capacity. Escape + tow bar + aux braking system + lube pump = $$$$.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
If you are new to towing, I suggest you look into renting a trailer from U-haul or other rental companies until you decide which method is best for you. I think the advantage of being able to back up is a big benefit to those just starting to tow a vehicle. As stated earlier, be sure to stay within your weight limit. Just my $ .02.
95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford-Trucks.com says the Escape AWD is just over 3,400lb. That gives you 1,600lb for an auto transport trailer. That's actually a lot of trailer. Look for aluminum or wood decked trailers and you should be fine.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote