Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Thanks for all the information. I didn't realize there were so many choices to make when I started looking at towing with a dolly. At this point I'm thinking I'll just tow my motorcycle on a small trailer!
They all do the job !

I'm one who likes to see what I'm getting before I pay for it.

I picked up mine at a large hardware / farm supply store in PA. It was down the road from the MH dealer, where I picked up the correct draw bar and ball.

They had no brake, electric brake and surge disc brake models.

I picked out a surge brake model, hitched it up in the parking lot, ran the car up on it, strapped it down and headed for FL.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things: DO you have to unlock the steering.. Often yes, sometimes no.. Read the fine manual that comes with the dolly.

Question: Who told you you can not flat tow it (your existing SUV)?

I flat tow a 2001 Neon and used to flat towe a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV . both of these vehicles can not be "Flat towed" as they come from the factory but both can be flat towed with simple mods.. Both are Front wheel drive

on the older one (Lumina) which is a fairly large ride with decent ground clearance (this is important) I added a Remco Axle Lock, basically this is a "half axle" for the front.. It went on the curb side tire,, There is a coller on the axle,, you use an oil filter wrench (Included) to twist it about 1/3 turn and now the car is a trailer. the wheel turns freely The other wheel will turn the differential and the other part of the right side axle will simply turn backwards.. ToW IN PARK, millage does not accrue since the tranny is not turning. EVEN on older mechanical odometer cars.

On the Neon, which is too close to the groudn for me to reach behind the wheel easily.. I use a REMCO LP-1 Lube Pump. This is not my first choice since a pump can fail, but it works, and works well and I have no complaints with it

Either way I can tow 4-down.. Way easier than a dolly, about the same price.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. I didn't realize there were so many choices to make when I started looking at towing with a dolly. At this point I'm thinking I'll just tow my motorcycle on a small trailer!
I have been towing my motorcycle for years on a flat trailer.I'am
thinking of the car option,as I get older. Plus the wife is tired of
helmet hair.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Dennis,

Where are you finding the Demco Kar KAddy SS for $2589? The cheapest I've found it is $2799 at PPL motorhomes with $115 shipping to Maine. And Acme just had price increases and they are $1799 for the surge brake model and they've doubled their shipping charge from $100 when I checked a week ago to $200.
Demco Tow Dollies

Has several demco dolly's the Demco 3 was the lowest price.
Demco Kar Kaddy 3 Surge brakes with Disc
Retail Price: $3,334.09
BigD Price: $2,581.00

The data i originally listed was from a Dolly comparision site. Like was earlier posted, all of them have their advantages and weakness, I am very happy with my EZE Tow and have no issues tracking, loading, or carrying my Elentra with it, Just for reference the manual says MAX pressure is 80 PSI and normal load for my cars axle weight is 75PSi on the the dolly tires, I have no fear of the tires cracking or failing than i do on any other tire i have if proper PSI and maintenance is done.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #33

Lots of great info in your post. But a couple of things I take issue with:

You don't mention supplemental braking system (which I think is mandatory in most states). THere's a wide range of systems to choose from and I have not settled on which one I think has the best comprise of cost, simplicity and reliability.

And I absolutely disagree that 4-down vs dolly "is about the same cost". My EZ Tow was around $2K with a spare tire. 4-down tow bar, plate, supplemental brake and of course any extraneous stuff like a trans pump or axel lock out is going to be a lot more than that.

I do agree 4-down can be a much simpler hook up once everything is installed and you don't have to wrangle and store the extra equipment involved with a dolly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Two things: DO you have to unlock the steering.. Often yes, sometimes no.. Read the fine manual that comes with the dolly.

Question: Who told you you can not flat tow it (your existing SUV)?

I flat tow a 2001 Neon and used to flat towe a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV . both of these vehicles can not be "Flat towed" as they come from the factory but both can be flat towed with simple mods.. Both are Front wheel drive

on the older one (Lumina) which is a fairly large ride with decent ground clearance (this is important) I added a Remco Axle Lock, basically this is a "half axle" for the front.. It went on the curb side tire,, There is a coller on the axle,, you use an oil filter wrench (Included) to twist it about 1/3 turn and now the car is a trailer. the wheel turns freely The other wheel will turn the differential and the other part of the right side axle will simply turn backwards.. ToW IN PARK, millage does not accrue since the tranny is not turning. EVEN on older mechanical odometer cars.

On the Neon, which is too close to the groudn for me to reach behind the wheel easily.. I use a REMCO LP-1 Lube Pump. This is not my first choice since a pump can fail, but it works, and works well and I have no complaints with it

Either way I can tow 4-down.. Way easier than a dolly, about the same price.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Lots of great info in your post. But a couple of things I take issue with:

You don't mention supplemental braking system (which I think is mandatory in most states). THere's a wide range of systems to choose from and I have not settled on which one I think has the best comprise of cost, simplicity and reliability.

And I absolutely disagree that 4-down vs dolly "is about the same cost". My EZ Tow was around $2K with a spare tire. 4-down tow bar, plate, supplemental brake and of course any extraneous stuff like a trans pump or axel lock out is going to be a lot more than that.

I do agree 4-down can be a much simpler hook up once everything is installed and you don't have to wrangle and store the extra equipment involved with a dolly.
The top of the line Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar costs $965.00 from e trailer. Add in the baseplates for $399.00, and the 9060 braking system for $1095 for a total of $2459.00. If you go with the Falcon towbar at $590.00 the cost is reduced to $2084.00. So the costs are comparable.

We waited for both the Sterling towbar and the braking system to go on sale and spent about $1,800.00 for the complete system.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #35

Quote:
And to add more options/confusion to the discussion, have you checked out the Tandem Tow Dolly? Http://www.tandem-tow.com/Models.htm. It allows you to take both the car and the bike, or a golf cart.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #36

Ok, so no trans pump or drive shaft disconnect and the two are very close, if you're a DIY person (which I am). If not, look at the install manual for 9060. I'd venture to guess a lot of people would opt for the cost of having this and the baseplate installed. Baseplate looks like a few hours also.

http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1811-17.pdf

I'm not anti 4-down, just haven't gotten there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The top of the line Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar costs $965.00 from e trailer. Add in the baseplates for $399.00, and the 9060 braking system for $1095 for a total of $2459.00. If you go with the Falcon towbar at $590.00 the cost is reduced to $2084.00. So the costs are comparable.

We waited for both the Sterling towbar and the braking system to go on sale and spent about $1,800.00 for the complete system.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #37

Definitely on my list if I started carrying a golf cart. Very expensive though. $6k to $7K new from what I've seen. I looked at a couple on Craigslist that are around 1/2 that used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman07 View Post
And to add more options/confusion to the discussion, have you checked out the Tandem Tow Dolly? Http://www.tandem-tow.com/Models.htm. It allows you to take both the car and the bike, or a golf cart.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #38

FWIW The Stehl Tow is available with either electric or surge brakes. Not sure about the rest.

IMHO the mods often cost as much as a dolly. Especially a used dolly. That is one of the many reasons why I would just as soon use the dolly as set up a vehicle for 4 down.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #39

I also don't tow very often. Most of our trips are 100 miles or less so my wife tends to meet me on the site. When we do go on a long trip (2-3 hours or more) we use the dolly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW The Stehl Tow is available with either electric or surge brakes. Not sure about the rest.

IMHO the mods often cost as much as a dolly. Especially a used dolly. That is one of the many reasons why I would just as soon use the dolly as set up a vehicle for 4 down.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Ok, so no trans pump or drive shaft disconnect and the two are very close, if you're a DIY person (which I am). If not, look at the install manual for 9060. I'd venture to guess a lot of people would opt for the cost of having this and the baseplate installed. Baseplate looks like a few hours also.

http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1811-17.pdf

I'm not anti 4-down, just haven't gotten there yet.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti dolly either. When we started Rving we pulled our Buick LeSabre along on a Roadmaster 2001 Dolly. It worked fine and we had no complaints.

As time went on we got into off roading. It seemed pointless to drag our Buick across the country then leave it sit at the campsite while we rented a Jeep. We decided to buy a Jeep and tow it instead of the Buick.

When we bought the Jeep the intent was to tow it on the dolly. After reading the owners manual we found it could only be towed 4 down or on a trailer. We purchased the necessary equipment to tow 4 down and sold the dolly to a friend who still uses it.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #41

Quote:
I also don't tow very often. Most of our trips are 100 miles or less so my wife tends to meet me on the site. When we do go on a long trip (2-3 hours or more) we use the dolly.

And that is kind of the point of using a dolly. If we were full timing then buying a car that could be towed 4 down and sinking a couple thousand into setting it up to be towed might make sense. OTOH we are not likely to ever full time and have vehicles we like so a dolly lets us take any front drive car we happen to have along with minimal hassle. The difference between loading the Stehl tow we use and loading a towbar with a braking package is marginal time wise.

FWIW - Not sure where I became aware of these but for the folks worrying about a safety chain setup do a search for "recovery hook". I found out that vehicles like our Escape have an auxillary screw in hook available that I can use as an anchor point for a safety chain without getting down on the ground. ;-)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #42
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I read the online manual for the Kar Kaddy and it said to limit your speed to 55 mph. I'm thinking most people don't do that. Correct?

Tags
dolly, fuse, tow, towing