Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

FWIW - Not sure where I became aware of these but for the folks worrying about a safety chain setup do a search for "recovery hook". I found out that vehicles like our Escape have an auxillary screw in hook available that I can use as an anchor point for a safety chain without getting down on the ground. ;-)
Excellent idea. My CRV has two hooks under the front bumper. Don't have to pop the recovery hook tab out of the bumper and screw in the hook.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #44
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I decided to start local and go out. The closest dealer carried Stehl so I called them. The Stehl website doesn't list dimensions or capacities and the dealer said he had no idea what they were either. He also said he never ordered them with brakes. All in all not very helpful.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Current Dolly pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
Demco Tow Dollies

Has several demco dolly's the Demco 3 was the lowest price.
Demco Kar Kaddy 3 Surge brakes with Disc
Retail Price: $3,334.09
BigD Price: $2,581.00

The data i originally listed was from a Dolly comparision site. Like was earlier posted, all of them have their advantages and weakness, I am very happy with my EZE Tow and have no issues tracking, loading, or carrying my Elentra with it, Just for reference the manual says MAX pressure is 80 PSI and normal load for my cars axle weight is 75PSi on the the dolly tires, I have no fear of the tires cracking or failing than i do on any other tire i have if proper PSI and maintenance is done.
Dennis,

Ok but in your original message you said:

Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
So just to be fair Here is your comparision..... Research away LOL
Acme Tow Dolly Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly $1,700 330-380 - 4985IBS --- Hydraulic Disc Brakes (Surge) - LED System - 5 - 10 years

Demco Kar Kaddy SS $2,589 --- 615 lbs--- 4700 lbs --- Hydraulic disc Brakes (Surge) --- LED System ---- 3 year limited

You were quoting the Kar Kaddy SS at $2589. When the price today at the link you provided is $2987 for the Kar Kaddy SS (although they do offer FREE shipping in US). So the $2799 at PPL is still the best price I can find and with $115 shipping they still edge out the other place in price ($2914 shipped). Just trying to clarify for those reading with interest.

The ACME EZ tow has upped their price ($1799 - hydraulic-surge option) and their shipping ($200) for a total of $1999 delivered.

ACME EZ tow is direct purchase and Kar Kaddy SS I'm quoting from PPL motorhomes in TX.

If anyone knows where you can get the Kar Kaddy SS cheaper, I'm all ears! Since I'm not comfortable that I can unlock the steering column on my push button start FWD car, I'm going with the Kar Kaddy SS over the EZ tow.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #46

Quote:
And that is kind of the point of using a dolly. If we were full timing then buying a car that could be towed 4 down and sinking a couple thousand into setting it up to be towed might make sense. OTOH we are not likely to ever full time and have vehicles we like so a dolly lets us take any front drive car we happen to have along with minimal hassle. The difference between loading the Stehl tow we use and loading a towbar with a braking package is marginal time wise.

FWIW - Not sure where I became aware of these but for the folks worrying about a safety chain setup do a search for "recovery hook". I found out that vehicles like our Escape have an auxillary screw in hook available that I can use as an anchor point for a safety chain without getting down on the ground. ;-)
What year escape do you have ?Mine is 2010.Dose it show Location
of screw hook in the manual. Thanks for the info.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
What year escape do you have ?Mine is 2010.Dose it show Location
of screw hook in the manual. Thanks for the info.
We have a 2012. Do not like the newer body style. Evidently they started putting a tapped hole under a cover in the front for a heavy duty screw eye in 2011.

The other thing recovery hooks will get you on a search are the long hooks the tow truck folks use to reach in and grab solid points. Prices are not bad. IF you can tow with them they ought to be sufficient for a safety attachment. ;-)
Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #48
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
All the manuals for the different manufacturers warn against making sharp turns with the dolly. I'm thinking that there isn't really a sharp turn to be made with a 40' motor home and they are probably referring to towing the dolly with something like a pick up. Am I right in thinking that?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #49

Depending on the length of the tongue on the dolly and how much of the towed vehicle hangs over it's possible to make a turn short enough to do damage with any vehicle. We could have made turns short enough with our 34' Adventurer to damage the car and the motorhome. Remember the pivot point is the rear axle. The longer the overhang behind the axle the more likely you are to have interference between the motorhome and the towed vehicle.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Dennis,

Ok but in your original message you said:
If anyone knows where you can get the Kar Kaddy SS cheaper, I'm all ears! Since I'm not comfortable that I can unlock the steering column on my push button start FWD car, I'm going with the Kar Kaddy SS over the EZ tow.
I just pulled up and copy and pasted the comparison chart directly from the ACME web site. IF your PPL price is best then go for it. I was just giving a comparison of the major tow dolly out on the market. Of course the prices listed on the acme site might not be exactly correct, but they are a comparison chart for looking at the varied price and options list. The SS is a very good dolly used by many over the years. I like my EZE tow i got for the total delivered price on the black Friday sales for $1700. It tows my elentra very well and has no issues with my coach.

I too may someday go 4 wheel down but at the present have no desire to buy a vehicle just for that purpose. I actually like the smart car + trailer set up i saw in FMCA for 5K, to me that is the perfect RV set up for a toad.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #51

Quote:
We have a 2012. Do not like the newer body style. Evidently they started putting a tapped hole under a cover in the front for a heavy duty screw eye in 2011.

The other thing recovery hooks will get you on a search are the long hooks the tow truck folks use to reach in and grab solid points. Prices are not bad. IF you can tow with them they ought to be sufficient for a safety attachment. ;-)
Thanks for the come back. Your right, older escapes look
nice.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
All the manuals for the different manufacturers warn against making sharp turns with the dolly. I'm thinking that there isn't really a sharp turn to be made with a 40' motor home and they are probably referring to towing the dolly with something like a pick up. Am I right in thinking that?
Driving straight down the road or making normal turns in the traffic lane is no sweat. That can change with any towed device as soon as one gets into backing up at all. It might change with really poor geometry if somebody tried to pivot on the back wheels in a very slow sharp turn with little or no forward travel. Those are the moves where a spotter, mirrors, cameras and a bit of prayer are called for as the rear of the MH also moves a lot so can hit things.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #53
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
So now I've confirmed that I've got a working electric brake controller in the motor home so I'll be getting a tow dolly with electric brakes. We're leaning toward the master dolly, but won't be able to look at one in person until the end of the month because the local dealer is out of them.

Tags
dolly, fuse, tow, towing