Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing with Dual Hitch Adaptor

Thinking about picking up a dual hitch adaptor like the one pictured in the link so that I can mount a bike rack and flat tow our Jeep Liberty (with Roadmaster Sterling All Terrian tow bar).

While I think there's enough clearance - both in terms of distance between bikes and front of the jeep - as well as between the tow bar and the bottom of the bike rack ... I haven't really had much opportunity to observe the range of motion that the Jeep moves thru when our coach is underway. I can't say with certainty that a sharp turn won't put the bike wheels in contact with front of the Jeep. Nor can I say with certainty that the 4" distance between the lower and upper receiver is enough to prevent a steep driveway from dropping the bike rack low enough to interfere with the motion of the tow bars.

Anybody with experiences using a dual hitch adaptor like this run into any of the problems I've descried?

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

I have used one on my 2008 Bounder towing a HHR with no issues. I had the same concerns so I went to a empty parking lot and installed it. I was able to make full 360 turns with no problems. I have a steep entry into my sub division the bottom of my hitch would scrape ( I installed a steel wheel in it) but the bikes did not contact the toad. We have since given the bikes to grand children but still have the dual hitch and steel wheel.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
It said it have a 4000 lb. capacity; your Liberty weighs more that that.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Roadmaster has a 10k one. I had to weld another receiver to the top to clear the towbar, but i have a rack that i haul a motorcycle on.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have one rated at 7500 lbs, but I tow the Cherokee on a dolly. There is no issue clearing the front of the vehicle.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used a Roadmaster duel receiver when I was towing a Honda Accord. Replaced the Accord with a CRV and the rack not goes on it rather than the coach. 4K is a bit light and will be your new towing weight limit (weakest link in the chain). Best to go with something a bit heavier unless you're trading the Liberty for a Smart Car. Turn clearance wasn't an issue but vertical was with the rack I was using. Slid the rack deeper into the receiver and drilled a new pin hole to clear the tow bar vertical pivot point.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
It said it have a 4000 lb. capacity; your Liberty weighs more that that.
Curb Weight of a Jeep Liberty is listed between 4,027 and 4,290 depending on options. So at worst it would be at 107% of capacity of the unit listed. For what's essentially a straight piece of tubing - I'm thinking I may be comfortable with that risk, but am still looking to see if I can find one rated a little higher.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Save your money on buying the cheap import stuff, and just get the Roadmaster dual hiotch. Pricy, yes, about 90 bucks on Amazon. But, 10,000 lb tow rating, 400 lb tongue rating. Probably outlast the rv.
Have one, tow a Subi with the Sterling bars, and have a spare tire carrier/with spare. Two years now, absolutely no problems.
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	129979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	129980  

Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

I also shortened the rack as much as i could and drilled a new pin hole.

Tags
ada, tow, towing