Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
towing with ready brake

Any comments on the ready-brake braking system?? Cable installation does not look easy!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Easy install on my Wrangler.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just installed on new 2011 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton.Took about 2 1/2 hrs all told, but not at all difficult
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #4

I think a certain amount of the dinking around I did doing the CR-V was due to the fact I wasn't in any particular hurry and ran it several ways looking for the best/straightest run? I was probably 2-2.5 hours on mine as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed it my 05 GMC Envoy and all went great, couldn't tell you how long it took as I installed the base plates, additional bulbs in the tail lights and electrical at the same it, 2 partial days for all.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I did not install mine but my RV tech did. It was his first time doing a Ready Brake and his comment was it was an easy job. ( didn't charge me that much either! ) I love towing with it. Just did some 9 degree grades a fw weeks ago and no issues. ( One was 3 1/2 miles long!)
Best wishes with it!
Dan
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Getting a direct cable run on my Acadia would have been a nightmare. I had a heck of a time routing the wires I needed. Maybe because it is front wheel drive? The area around the firewall was very hard to access for anything and especially so around the brake pedal.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Your biggest challenge will be drilling the firewall. Some vehicles have a double thickness of metal, the second layer being a sound deadening layer. A long drill bit is in order, and double check the area in back of where you are going to be entering the firewall area. After that it's just a matter of routing the cable to the front bumper.

On my first Jeep I went high over the top of the engine compartment, on the second Jeep I went low. Both worked well. That will be the most technical part of the job. The rest of it is pretty easy.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ready brake install

Just installed on my '04 Grand Vitara. Not too bad considering how tight everything is. On the first trip with it now and it has performed as advertised. I like it because it is simple, mechanical and straight forward.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, towing