Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
You are trying to not only exceed the recommended towing capacity but also the hitch capacity? Please let me know what roads you're going to be on so I can avoid them. There's no way you can safely modify the manufacturer's ratings. What you will end up doing is making an unstable towing situation. The weight of the towed truck will be able to push and cause the modified van to go out of control.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For liability issues alone, I wouldn't tow out of the rating of the coach. Get a bigger coach of lighter toad.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #17

I don't believe we're getting the correct numbers in the first post. That 12,500# stated as the GCWR, is more than likely the GVWR. Ford rates the E350 with a V10 at much more than than what was posted. Coachmen might have put a 3,000# hitch on it (more often though I believe it's a 3,500# hitch) probably because of their frame extension. They are also normally bolted on, not welded. If the RV is only 20' long, I don't believe it would be that long an extension.
I think the best thing to do is go to a good welding shop or hitch builder/ installer and have them make a custom hitch that ties into the main frame. You shouldn't have any problem towing 3,000 or 4,000#.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #18

Paranoic

My dear paranoid, that's the reason I'm asking this question fron knowledgeable people on this site. I suggest to you to stay home, a cloud may fall on your head, or a tree on your way to some where, so stay home, in the basement, I don't need your stupid comments.

QUOTE=BFlinn181;2733612]You are trying to not only exceed the recommended towing capacity but also the hitch capacity? Please let me know what roads you're going to be on so I can avoid them. There's no way you can safely modify the manufacturer's ratings. What you will end up doing is making an unstable towing situation. The weight of the towed truck will be able to push and cause the modified van to go out of control.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaviator View Post
My dear paranoid, that's the reason I'm asking this question fron knowledgeable people on this site. I suggest to you to stay home, a cloud may fall on your head, or a tree on your way to some where, so stay home, in the basement, I don't need your stupid comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You are trying to not only exceed the recommended towing capacity but also the hitch capacity? Please let me know what roads you're going to be on so I can avoid them. There's no way you can safely modify the manufacturer's ratings. What you will end up doing is making an unstable towing situation. The weight of the towed truck will be able to push and cause the modified van to go out of control.
Hey, in your first post you asked for an education. I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean I shouldn't fear people doing things dangerous things to my well being. At least I don't ignore facts or physics. You misstated the weight of the pick up, the weight of the truck far exceeds the tow limit of the RV and a bit above the hitch limit. but when corrected you want to modify the hitch, which is not legal or safe. You've demonstrated a desire to do something not suggested by modifying your pick up to tow it with a driveshaft disconnect. You act as if driving this mess in Florida is O.K. because you don't have mountains, I guess.

When you ask for education and opinion don't attack those who give facts and opinion that what you are trying isn't a good idea or even safe.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #20

What makes you think its illegal to modify the hitch ?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaviator View Post

Quote:
If I'm reading the specifications correctly you can tow 7,000 lb., 18,500-11,500, if you had a hitch rated for it which you don't. If you get the correctly rated hitch you should be fine as long as you don't go over your GVWR. Remember you have almost no tongue weight pulling a toad 4 flat. If using a tow dolly such as an Ez-Tow you have less than 100 lbs.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
I also said not safe. You can modify the hitch, but you won't find any licensed shop to do it because of a legal thing called liability. They don't want to be included in any lawsuits resulting in an accident due to your modified, over-weight towing. You probably won't get stopped, few LEO's have time or equipment to check it out, but in an accident, especially if it includes a fatality, you better believe every contributing factor will be examined under a microscope. Anything that an insurance company or lawyer could use to widen the scope of the liability would be used. On this forum there have been photos of Class IV hitches, professionally installed at the factory, used within listed limits, that have folded like made of tin foil. You want to use an oversized van to pull a pick up truck. Good luck.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #23

I don't understand your comment that it's illegal to upgrade a hitch. This is done all the time. It that wasn't true I couldn't buy a hitch for my Journey. Please list a reference where modifying or changing a hitch is illegal. I don't think you can.

Welding shops do this all the time as well. That's why they are certified and carry liability insurance.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
If I'm reading the specifications correctly you can tow 7,000 lb., 18,500-11,500, if you had a hitch rated for it which you don't. If you get the correctly rated hitch you should be fine as long as you don't go over your GVWR. Remember you have almost no tongue weight pulling a toad 4 flat. If using a tow dolly such as an Ez-Tow you have less than 100 lbs.
I don't believe we really know the specs of the MH that the OP has. Those GVWR and GCWR figures you mentioned were on a 1997 24' E350 V10 MH I had . The OP hasn't told us what model Coachmen he has. Ford makes a number of different GVWRs and GCWR versions of the E350.
Regardless, he has more than an inadequate hitch. He also probably has an issue with his frame extension, I believe. With a MH as short as 20', it's not that big a deal to have a hitch custom built with a higher capacity, that would be bolted to the main Ford frame, eliminating any potentially weak frame extension issues.
I had a reputable welding shop make a custom hitch for my 24' MH, that they bolted to the main frame. I towed a boat that was over 6,000# and never had an issue. The hitch was big and was more than adequate. This same company also builds custom legal and approved fuel tanks for boats and whatnot. I'm pretty sure if there was any liability concerns in my case, they wouldn't have built and installed that hitch.
All this is assuming his MH has the GVWR and GCWR from Ford that would allow towing more than 3,000#
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
This could be the issue of the manufacturers of the incomplete chassis setting the towing limits. Either manufacturer can set GVWR and GCWR limits on the completed vehicle.

With a frame extension the Coachmen engineers may have calculated a new set of GVWR and towing limits. If this were the case the lower numbers take precedence.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

TOAD towing

Thank you for all your answers and opinions (not from the paranoid guy) As stated before, the GVWR is 10600, the curb weight 9800 (rounded figures) I don't have any other weights on the RV. My toad weigths 3100 lbs ( I thoutgh it was 2900) My first question or concern was for the capacity of the RV to tow my little truck, on the dealers brochure it read 2500lbs towing capacity.
The RV is a Coachmen STARFLYTE series, build on a 1998 E350 super duty Ford chassis with the V10 and 4r100 Transmission. After looking at the hitch on the unit, there is a sticker that reads towing capacity up to 3000lbs, of course I will not tow anything right now. I set up an appoinment with the RV shop, and going to have them install a class V hitch. Any how, thanks for all your good answers and good will, much appreciated. BTW, a member of this great forum advised me that the V10 and 4R100 are up to the task of towing my toad.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
"Paranoid guy" here. Go for it. Physics are a funny thing, you can weld, bolt, or glue bigger hitches on your RV. But you can't change the forces of nature. Yes, your V10 can handle the pull, but can your brakes handle the push? Can such a large force at your back bumper prevent you from getting pushed sideways or jackknife?

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” - Mark Twain.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #28

Paranoid guy

Thanks paranoid, did you look at the mirror lately? Hope no to hear from you again,.

Quote:
"Paranoid guy" here. Go for it. Physics are a funny thing, you can weld, bolt, or glue bigger hitches on your RV. But you can't change the forces of nature. Yes, your V10 can handle the pull, but can your brakes handle the push? Can such a large force at your back bumper prevent you from getting pushed sideways or jackknife?

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” - Mark Twain.

Tags
tow, towing