Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Towing Wrangler

I'm new to using this forum so I hope I' in the right place.
Recently purchased a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer and it came with the towing and braking system by Blue Ox.
The boss and I decided to go all the way and find a toad as well.
We now have a 2001 Wrangler. The person we bought it from said it has been towed behind a MH, but I'm sure it must have had a different bumper as the one on it only has a 2x2" receiver that is welded into the bumper. I believe it's a Warrior type.
Question: Can I simply buy a set of Blue OX bx88230 universal bolt on adaptors, bolt them on, make adjustments for height and be safe?

Thanks for all help, directions or advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
Recently purchased a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer and it came with the towing and braking system by Blue Ox.
We now have a 2001 Wrangler. The person we bought it from said it has been towed behind a MH, but I'm sure it must have had a different bumper as the one on it only has a 2x2" receiver that is welded into the bumper. I believe it's a Warrior type.
Question: Can I simply buy a set of Blue OX bx88230 universal bolt on adaptors, bolt them on, make adjustments for height and be safe?

Gumboot,
Towing your '02 Jeep is ultra easy. I won't go through the procedures for prepping it, since that's in your owners manual. But, to set up your front bumper on the Jeep for a tow bar, you're right, you will need to find whatever kind of adapters that will work. I'd set up bunches of Jeeps, for different kinds of removable tow bars and, none of them were hard.

Now, you can buy adapters to use the Stowmaster which, if you desire, can stay on the front of the Jeep when driving around or, with the pull of a couple of pins, that entire Stowmaster can be instantly removed too. That's why I like that one. But, there are others too that are almost as versatile. I used to have a set of pictures of the adapters/brackets on my bumpers of the jeeps I built so folks could see how easily it's done but, like everything in my memory, I CAN'T FIND THEM!!!

I'll keep digging around to see what I can find but, again, it's really easy to set up. And as long as you're within a few inches, you're good to go. Most would like your tow bar to be darn close to level but, that's not always achieveable. Good luck.
Scott
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Gumboot:

Before pulling away in the Winnebago, make sure to do just a few things in the Jeep:

• The Jeep’s parking brake needs to be OFF (in the driving position = down)
• Put the transfer case in NEUTRAL (will be the second position up from the regular 2WD mode. The Jeep will roll freely if the transfer case is in neutral and the parking brake is off, so make sure you are hooked to the Winnebago before doing this!
• Insert a key into the Jeep's ignition and turn just to the FIRST CLICK. If you turn to the second click you will be in ACC mode and your odometer will record towed mileage. All you need is the first click so that the steering wheel is unlocked (and towed mileage will not be recorded on the odometer). Test the steering wheel to be sure it is loose and not locked.

You may want to do a light check with your spotter at this time. The Jeep's rear turn signals and brake lights should activate with the rear signals on the MH.

Behind the wheel of the Winnebago, as you gently accelerate, watch the rear camera to be sure the tow bar has locked. You may need to make a couple quick left-then-right turns of the MH steering wheel to wiggle the tow bar into lock position. Then, as soon as you can, make a 90-degree turn and watch in the MH mirrors to be sure that the Jeep's wheels are all rolling freely and that the steering did not lock.

Then away you go!

Welcome to the Forum! ...and have fun!

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post

I have the blue ox bolt on adapters on a Rockhard bumper. Works just fine. As to whether you can just bolt them on to the existing bumper depends on how strong the bumper is and its mounting to the Jeep. If aftermarket bumper as you describe it's likely ok. Verify it is solidly bolted to the frame of the jeep with proper grade bolts.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing