RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
TowTower

A new way to tow the toad. Very expensive but makes more cars towable and without a dolly.

https://www.towtower.com/

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

I noticed that they didnít show what has to be done to the toad for the mount.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

One concern I see with that design is tongue weight. That Foretravel is one of a small pool of MH with enough TW capacity to lift the front of that Caddy.

And what happens to the car when you drive through a dip and the car tires contact the road. That seems almost unavoidable given the geometry.

Being able to back up is a nice advantage.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Very interesting but there was no mention of supplemental braking which you would still need for the tow vehicle should it become separated from the RV. I guess we're to understand that that's still a requirement. They probably just wanted to discuss the tow tower.
keger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

It seems obvious this is just a demonstration of the tow tower and that most people will know that a braking system will be needed for safe operation.
WanderingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

Well,
It's another option for some folks. If someone was twisting my arm to tow a non-flat towable car, that needed a dolly, and my coach was able to handle the tongue weight, I'd opt for that in a heartbeat over a dolly. But, not in that "boat" so, I don't have to worry. I do like the gadgetry though. I'm a mechanism guru. It looks good from the standpoint of a video. I'd really have to check it out in person and, see what's needed in connection to the toad, before making a final decision.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #7

The toad looks pretty close to the back of the motorhome. Could be a problem in a tight turn.

Also, since there are no steerable tires under the front of the toad it will not track directly behind the motorhome but will turn inside the towing vehicles track just as a bumper pull or 5th wheel does. Not necessarily a problem but something to consider. Tongue weight will eliminate it from consideration on 95 percent of motorhome/toad combinations.

I wonder why they didn't demonstrate it with the motorhome suspension aired up and ready to go down the road?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #8

I would use a dolly
It looks like the front would teeter totter side to side
Wheels would hit the ground at some point
Tracking would be a problem and a braking system would not be as affective , most of your braking is on the front wheels, I think you would have to have the car in neutral , to avoid your tires from skidding if the hit the payment
gbstewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same concerns, especially the mounting bracket being under the car. Just for the heck of it I sent an email to Detroit Wreckers. They are a custom wrecker builder. I'm curious if they can build a wheel lift for the F53 chassis that has the lift beam and without the extension. A fixed point wheel lift. Not going to be any cheaper but it lifts by the wheels which eliminates the hardware.

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
One concern I see with that design is tongue weight. That Foretravel is one of a small pool of MH with enough TW capacity to lift the front of that Caddy.

And what happens to the car when you drive through a dip and the car tires contact the road. That seems almost unavoidable given the geometry.

Being able to back up is a nice advantage.

Yep that's a lot tongue weight that will probably limit his market share.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a complete tow bar assembly and installed myself for $850.
Weight on hitch <100 lbs, proven technology, reliable.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #12

Subscribed
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #13

Maybe for the "I hate dollies" folks with a heavy A and light towed. The rest of us are trying to shed weight on the hitch not add it. I'd rather use my dolly.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #14

Maybe someone could explain it in terms I could understand but how does lifting a 4000lb vehicle become only 1600lbs on the read axel? My toad is 2800lbs. So it would become about 1200lbs???

SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow