Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toyota 4 Runner towing

I'm in the process of buying my first class A MH and would like to buy a 1994-2000 Toyota 4 runner as my tow behind. It will be a 4x4 so I was wondering if anyone knows if this can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground or if I'm going to have to dolly it. I want to avoid the dolly so if anyone has any experience or where I can find this info it would be appreciated. Thanks
Justin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Toyota says it cannot. And Remco, the aftermarket towing experts, agrees (unless it is a 2WD manual tranny).

You can, however, get a drive shaft disconnect from Remco Disconnect and make the 4Runner towable. It works on both 2WD and 4WD automatics, but not on the AWD model.

Look up the 4Runner here:
Remco's DriveShaft Coupling: Application Chart

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscribn1 View Post
I'm in the process of buying my first class A MH and would like to buy a 1994-2000 Toyota 4 runner as my tow behind. It will be a 4x4 so I was wondering if anyone knows if this can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground or if I'm going to have to dolly it. I want to avoid the dolly so if anyone has any experience or where I can find this info it would be appreciated. Thanks
Justin
I am about to do the same. I have a 2002 4X4 4runner I would like to use a my TOAD vehicle (its paid for). Camping World just quoted me $1350 for the install of the REMCO drive disconnect. They intially said $700-$1000 and after measuring and talking to REMCO, said because of the flanges and the U Joints it would be $1350. ??? Ouch!!!

Did you get a quote? It would interesting to see if they are consistant. Thanks. Happy Trials.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Good luck on finding a used Toyota 4x4 in good condition. Us Toyota folks hang on to them forever, since they last so long. I towed a Tacoma standard shift 4x4 with manual front hubs for years and many thousands of miles with no damage to truck. But the manual hubs make the difference.

Unless you really want to have a very aggressive offroad vehicle like the 4runner, I would suggest a Honda CRV AWD. The Honda CRV will handle some minor offroad conditions. And there are some low mileage CRVs out there, you just have to look. We picked up a 1999 with only 140k miles and it's in excellent shape. Have not had it in any offroad situations yet but will when we get back to traveling.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

We just bought a 2011 4Runner, love the vehicle but stock it cannot be towed 4 down. I just talked to Remco and can buy the disconnect kit for $900 and then would need to get it installed. The disconnect goes on the rear drive shaft, the transfer case isolates the front end ok according to Remco. Has anyone used the Remco drive shaft disconnect and how well do they work and hold up?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I just bought my first MH, and have been wheeling a 97 4runner 4x4 for a while. I plan on flat towing it behind my 30' v10. You must disconnect the rear driveline or you will cook the bearing in the transfer case. For the front, just leave the transfer case in 2H and put the transmission in Neutral. I don't want to spend the $900.00 for the remco disconnect so I will be just removing my DL before long trips for as long as I can crawl under there and do it.

My question has more to do with the braking while the engine is off. Is anyone currently flat towing a 3rd gen runner (96-02) regularly, and how is the braking behind the rv? Are you using a brake buddy, does it work fine with the engine off?

The vacuum brake booster doesn't seem to work well when the engine is off from what I have noticed..
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
I just bought my first MH, and have been wheeling a 97 4runner 4x4 for a while. I plan on flat towing it behind my 30' v10. You must disconnect the rear driveline or you will cook the bearing in the transfer case. For the front, just leave the transfer case in 2H and put the transmission in Neutral. I don't want to spend the $900.00 for the remco disconnect so I will be just removing my DL before long trips for as long as I can crawl under there and do it.

My question has more to do with the braking while the engine is off. Is anyone currently flat towing a 3rd gen runner (96-02) regularly, and how is the braking behind the rv? Are you using a brake buddy, does it work fine with the engine off?

The vacuum brake booster doesn't seem to work well when the engine is off from what I have noticed..
Just got the REMCO installed on my 3rd Gen. It works well, but they sent me the wrong linkage on the first try. Roadmaster tow bar brackets and RVi brake assist. I have yet to try it. Still working so I have to wait until May 18th to go to the Colorado River for the maiden voyage. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I don't flat tow a 4runner, but on my 2000 Tacoma, I have used the brake buddy successfully for years. It works fine and is easily adjustable to sensitivity for braking situations.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
Just got the REMCO installed on my 3rd Gen. It works well, but they sent me the wrong linkage on the first try. Roadmaster tow bar brackets and RVi brake assist. I have yet to try it. Still working so I have to wait until May 18th to go to the Colorado River for the maiden voyage. I will let you know how it goes.
Awesome! please, let me know how it works out.. and pics of your setup towing the runner would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdja View Post
I don't flat tow a 4runner, but on my 2000 Tacoma, I have used the brake buddy successfully for years. It works fine and is easily adjustable to sensitivity for braking situations.
pretty much the same drivetrain, glad to know no major problems. I love my Toyota..
Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Awesome! please, let me know how it works out.. and pics of your setup towing the runner would be great.

pretty much the same drivetrain, glad to know no major problems. I love my Toyota..
I agree. It looks like you have her all set up for off-road. Ours is in getting a 3" lift as we speak. Toyotec complete kit with new control arms. Bud Built Skids and looking at a Shockworks front bumper. We looked at Jeeps but I did not want to spend $40K. The 4runner has been paid off for a while. We made the decision she will be with us for a while. I will send pics as soon I get it all dialed in this Sat.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I agree. It looks like you have her all set up for off-road. Ours is in getting a 3" lift as we speak. Toyotec complete kit with new control arms. Bud Built Skids and looking at a Shockworks front bumper. We looked at Jeeps but I did not want to spend $40K. The 4runner has been paid off for a while. We made the decision she will be with us for a while. I will send pics as soon I get it all dialed in this Sat.
I have a toytec kit on my Tacoma (ome front & rear).. it's a little stiff. I went with the Sonoran Steel 1.2 on my 4runner and I am in love with it. I have budbuilt as well, it has saved my butt numerous times... well worth the money. Are you putting a locker in the rear? What are you doing for tire sizes?

My 4runner is paid for too, I have been beating it up on the trails though.. I love to drive it. When you get out in the sticks, it will get over almost anything.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have a toytec kit on my Tacoma (ome front & rear).. it's a little stiff. I went with the Sonoran Steel 1.2 on my 4runner and I am in love with it. I have budbuilt as well, it has saved my butt numerous times... well worth the money. Are you putting a locker in the rear? What are you doing for tire sizes?

My 4runner is paid for too, I have been beating it up on the trails though.. I love to drive it. When you get out in the sticks, it will get over almost anything.
Next is the e-Locker. Which did you go with and how much? Ran out of $...but tires will be after the e-Locker, what would you recommend? I was thinking I could get 33's to fit with the lift?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Next is the e-Locker. Which did you go with and how much? Ran out of $...but tires will be after the e-Locker, what would you recommend? I was thinking I could get 33's to fit with the lift?
E locker? nah.. I just installed the lockrite for about $255, it's a lunchbox locker that makes some clicking noises around corners but it works great. I don't have to hit a switch which I like, and it was cheap. I broke teeth off my ring gear twice before I figured out I was doing something wrong with my diff's. This latest one, I sent to ZUK (gearinstalls.com) and it's been great.

I beat on it pretty good at the Lonestar Jamboree recently, and it worked like a champ. Tire wise, I went with the 255/85/16's which are taller than the 285/75/16 33's that most do. I want to maintain some gas mileage and I thought the narrow tread pattern would help. I get 18-19's regularly with the big tires, I am running them with the stock 4.10 gears.. no issues yet. below is a pic of when I first installed them, stock UCA's.. they don't rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4Runner.jpg
Views:	2564
Size:	645.4 KB
ID:	21131

if your interested, here is my build thread. I changed Forums though, I am on this one now.. and yes, I am planning on towing this with the Winnebago..

Tags
towing